Tuesday, August 08, 2006



JESUS CHRIST....VS. VAMPIRES


This is a cover I did for my buddy Tim Seeley's book at Image, Loaded Bible. You should go check this book out.

I wanted to approach this cover from a new place. My last project was New Warriors, and that had a very animated, saturday morning cartoon feel. After 6 issues of that style, i wanted to play with some new techniques. this was a great chance to add some grit and grime to the overall feel of the piece. And, i added some blacks, with is a crazy thing for me. But I really liked the out come, and I think that this will be a style that I'll play with for awhile. I like the dark side of things, while still keeping it full of energy. Now, there are still a few spots that I feel I could have thought out more, and fixed a few spots, but overall, I'm feeling this one.

You can see here, that the idea started with the most elementry doodle. it's almost not even a readable image. But I knew what was going to happen. the rough sketch, my version of pencils. That's all I do for pencils. I ink myself, so I like to still make some decisions when inking. It keeps in fun. I used to try and make my pencils super tight, but i'm all about the energy of a drawing. the inks will be tight later. Then the inks. I used pens, nibs, brush, black and white inks. I tried it all. what ever gets the job done.

And then the colors. i just wanted it to be simple. At first, I had everyone in gray, even Jesus. But Tim pointed out that Jesus got lost in the colors, and he was right. So, I slightly adjusted his skin tone to make him stand out. But I still wanted it subtle. I also added the image with the title...thanks Tim!

10 comments:

Valhalla Comics said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Valhalla Comics said...

I love Loaded Bible and I'm so happy that you're rockin' out the cover, man. Congrats on this gig. The cover looks phenominal and I can't wait to pick this sucker up.

Jon Tsuei said...

Cool blog Scottie. Wanted to say thanks for doing those Joker panels in my sketchbook during SDCC.

It was a pleasure meeting you and I hope we run into each other again some time.

Keep posting the great art.

Chris Sims said...

HOLY COW! That is one of the sickest illustrations I have seen in a while. Very dynamic! Wonderful work as always homie!

aaaokay said...

You got some great stuff here Skottie. The Vampires look cool. The Spidey cover is reall cool too.

Thorcus said...

that is a hammer pic...yeah, B&W wouldn't work perfect, but with the simple coloring it works great. thumbs up.

DESTRO said...

Like I said man, Keep this style with the heavy shadows. It's the only way to fight terrorism.

Mike Norton said...

DId you fix the logo too? Looks so much better now :)

skottie young said...

what's up mike. no, i didn't do the logo, but i really dig it. it looks like a kick ass movie logo.

hey, why don't you come draw tomorrow!! (sat.) we'll get some freaking lunch and then draw our little butts off. what do you say?

freefun0616 said...

酒店經紀人,
菲梵酒店經紀,
酒店經紀,
禮服酒店上班,
酒店小姐兼職,
便服酒店經紀,
酒店打工經紀,
制服酒店工作,
專業酒店經紀,
合法酒店經紀,
酒店暑假打工,
酒店寒假打工,
酒店經紀人,
菲梵酒店經紀,
酒店經紀,
禮服酒店上班,
酒店經紀人,
菲梵酒店經紀,
酒店經紀,
禮服酒店上班,
酒店小姐兼職,
便服酒店工作,
酒店打工經紀,
制服酒店經紀,
專業酒店經紀,
合法酒店經紀,
酒店暑假打工,
酒店寒假打工,
酒店經紀人,
菲梵酒店經紀,
酒店經紀,
禮服酒店上班,
酒店小姐兼職,
便服酒店工作,
酒店打工經紀,
制服酒店經紀,
酒店經紀,

,