Thursday, December 28, 2006
Here is the final version of my latest Cable cover. I think it gets solicited this month, so I thought I would give you guys a peek.
I'm back from holiday and will be spending the next few weeks working on Frankenstein pages. I finished writing the script today, and I had a blast doing it. It was a new process for me, writing for myself and I really enjoyed the work. So, once that book comes out, I'll post up a break down of the process here.
Tuesday, December 19, 2006
Ok, so I wanted to some cheesy christmas drawing for my last blog before the holidays but work has kept me too busy to do anything. I'm leaving town tonight and thought I would throw up one last doodle until after Xmas.
I've been experimenting alot lately with styles. Well, maybe not styles exactly, but more ways to approach the finish of a piece or a drawing. I'm writing and drawing a Frankenstein story for Marvel, and want to give it a loose, rough looking feel. So, this is little study in the style of line. It's not there yet, but for some reason I really love the energy of this kind of line. It's drastically different from my animated type line, but that's good. I like to switch it up, and not get to dug into one thing. I like be able to apply different styles to different stories, and will be doing so alot more in the future. I also have been experimenting with black and white alot lately. I'm starting work on my own graphic novel, and may attempt to do a black and white pass at it. Not sure yet, and have some time before I get there.
So, this one is small, but in a way a big step to somewhere in the coming weeks. I'll keep you updated on the progress of the tests.
Thursday, December 07, 2006
CABLE MAKES ME DO ODD THINGS
This was interesting. I've been wanting to play around with different techniques for covers, so I did this quick 2 mintue sketch of cable with the intention of trying to do some kind of digital painting on it. Once I scanned it and started playing around if photoshop, things starting happening outside of the original plan and I just went with it. Now, this was just a little sketch, smaller than 8.5x11, and the digital image was really just photoshop sketching. I didn't think something usable would come out in the end. But I ended up being pleased with the outcome. So, I sent the small file in and it got approved for a cover. So, I'm going to redo this, using the same methods, but with a little more plan this time around. But it was a great experiment, and I look forward to doing the final.