Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Audio Visual: Cole Blaquesmith



I thought I would try something new once a week. I'm going to take one of my warm up pieces each week and draw it to a certain song. then I will post the image, and a video displaying the image with that song playing. I thought it would be interesting to show you what mood I had in mind for the piece thru the music. I often pic a song out before I start drawing a piece, to help determine where to go with it.



Today, (Scott Hume: Ragefist, this is for you!) I followed the idea from yesterday and picked something I'm a huge fan of but have rarely drawn. Cole Blaquesmith from Joe Kelly and Chris Bachalo. This is one of my favorite stories. Cole is a man who seems to have to fight his way across great lands to try and piece together his life and find his one and only love. Oh yea, he woke up after a few years with steam powered limbs.

Instead of going the action route, I wanted to take the very abrasive image of Cole and inject a bit more emotion as he holds his loves ribbon, pondering what he will have to do to find her. I put this one to "Roads" by Portishead. I think this song has the right mixture of sadness and idea of having to fight for something no matter how difficult.

So, there you go. Hopefully if I get the time in the next few weeks, I'll record me actually sketching the piece an set that to the song. But for now, take a few minutes and look at the image as you listen to the song. See if you feel the connection the same as I do. It will be interesting to see what you all think, or if better songs might fit the feeling that you get.

[note] I spelled Portishead wrong in the video, but didn't have time to change it. Deal with it! And I will be working on the quality, as I can see that it's not the best. Hang tight and we'll figure this thing out. Should be fun.

enjoy
s.

14 comments:

COMIKXGUY said...

hey skootie,

well...

i feel that the pic represents the opposite

like he went on this very long tortuous journey(possibly in his mind ?) and when he got there all he could find is her ribbon as memories of her flood back through him

it also makes it seem like he did something wrong to her and he now regretts it

"we've got to fight it, now matter what they say"

that also reminds me of a romeo / julliette situation, more out of rebellion

sad, but unfortunatly not uplifting

it needs that, maybe add a part at after the song

i hope that helps skottie

btw what you think of me posting your advice about the "just create. be a kid again", "childish" message?

:)

TiGuntH said...

Anyway, I'm really impressed by your art! This one is really kool. A feeling of lonelyness, calm and sadness maybe beforethe storm;-)
Well, you're amazing guy!!
well done!

Cruz said...

hey steampunk is one of my favorites comics the work of kelly and bachalo is realy cool, this scketch is real good and the song is appropriate, it's steampunk soundtrack jeje

suerte
va

Underduck said...

You've merged three of my favorite things into one sketch dude.

Steampunk, Portishead "roads", and your art style bro.

Loving the new level of involvement that you have online. It's a great source of inspiration for my own humble artistic pursuits.

Thanks for all the work you're throwing down for us. It is appreciated.

Cheers
UD

Scott Hume said...

DUDE!!..this is fucking amazing man, if Bachalo wants to finish this series, he better call your ass..hahaha, awesome job man, and the song really goes with this peice, and thanks man, I love when ya draw Cole.

Anonymous said...

I still have the headshot you did for me the first time you came to Toronto framed over my desk... cheers for another GREAT Cole pic...

Janderson said...

Hi, Skottie Young!
Your work is amazing. Thanks for sharing that.
Can you to do a video you drawing? That will be great.
Cheers
J
ps.: sorry my bad english.

Kyle Von said...

haha this is sweet man loving it and what a tune just like to plug it thatll ill be seeing Port live at christmas will be thinking about this picture!!!! would really like to see some of gaimans endless characters done in this style, especially sandman....

- Kyle Von Brown

Craig Zablo said...

Now THAT is a cool idea. Dig the art and the song.

COMIKXGUY said...

WELLLLLLLLLLLLL.....?

samax said...

Steampunk was a great, great comic!
its a crime that the reader base has grown so small that it couldn't support such a beautiful, original book.

Jeanine Schaefer said...

Steampunk is one of my favorite comics, and I had to drop you a line -- this is an amazing rendition of Cole, I just love it. So great to see something I love so much given new life with a different take.

Great work!

freefun0616 said...

酒店經紀人,
菲梵酒店經紀,
酒店經紀,
禮服酒店上班,
酒店小姐兼職,
便服酒店經紀,
酒店打工經紀,
制服酒店工作,
專業酒店經紀,
合法酒店經紀,
酒店暑假打工,
酒店寒假打工,
酒店經紀人,
菲梵酒店經紀,
酒店經紀,
禮服酒店上班,
酒店經紀人,
菲梵酒店經紀,
酒店經紀,
禮服酒店上班,
酒店小姐兼職,
便服酒店工作,
酒店打工經紀,
制服酒店經紀,
專業酒店經紀,
合法酒店經紀,
酒店暑假打工,
酒店寒假打工,
酒店經紀人,
菲梵酒店經紀,
酒店經紀,
禮服酒店上班,
酒店小姐兼職,
便服酒店工作,
酒店打工經紀,
制服酒店經紀,
酒店經紀,

,

The Venerable Monster said...

That was an amazing picture of Cole. Like alot of the people above me, I am a huge Steampunk fan (it's a crime that the story is still not finished). Anyways, your rendition of Cole in this picture is amazing, and I think it does a great job of showing Cole's feelings about Fiona.