Monday, July 16, 2007

Warm-Up: Childish



"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the desire to be very grown up."

C.S. Lewis said this when people asked him why he wrote books for children. This reminds me to keep in mind the origin of what I love most...drawing. Before I knew what Marvel or D.C. was, before I knew what a comic book, or super hero was, I drew pictures. I love drawing. I can't recall what I liked drawing the most, probably because I drew so much there is no way to remember. I drew all the time, with any tool that created a line on paper.

Amongst the contracts, negotiations, signings, failed projects, good and bad reviews, deadlines, tussles with editors and studio execs., 35 airports a year, the same convention halls over and over, and anything else that goes along with the professional artist label...it is easy for me to forget what I wanted to do this for. I love drawing. That's the end of it really. I love it. I love the kid that lives here no matter how many books I sell, or how much money I put in the bank. I need to remind myself to put away the childish "desire to be very grown up." and just put pencil to paper. I never used to need anyone to like what I drew. I didn't know to want it. I just wanted to turn a blank piece of paper into something, anything, just as long as it looked fun. An animal, a world that I have never seen, a twist on the world I have. Amongst all the things that have over shadowed that ideal, I have lost the child.

After hearing this quote, I wrote it down and pinned it on the bulletin board in front of my table. That's why these warm up drawings started happening. I always told myself I didn't have time to draw anything for fun, I had to work. But, like those parents who have kids and need to make time for them no matter what...I am reminding myself to do the same.

Enjoy.
s.

[updated] I added a color file that I made for my page header.

32 comments:

Tim Bye said...

Great work!

Scott Hume said...

Damn right Skottie, damn fucking right man, keep up the great work man, always inspiring.

Anansi(Kedd) said...

Truer words and so on and so on. Keep at it Mr. Young

Craig Zablo said...

Love the quote... love the drawing... love your comments.

Chrispy said...

Thats what its all about mang, LOVE! I think this is one of my favorite drawings this decade man, and i think any artist needs to tell themselves this EVERYDAY! Dope stuff yo, and CS is the man, i mean anybody who's name is Clive Staples has to be amazing, lol. I'll call you later, PEACE!

COMIKXGUY said...

I AM ACTUALLY AT A LOSS FOR WORDS AND ALL I CAN SAY IS....




ditto




btw i really liked AC epi 116, that one had some great insight as well

eugene commodore said...

If you dont have the love for it you don't have much.

Teh Phil said...

Thanks man, it's good to see one of the artists sites I check daily reminding me why I love to do what I do.

Dave Kim said...

that was amazingly profound.
great insight.

Anonymous said...

Amen.

Jamal Igle said...

I know how you feel. It ets harder sometimes, because I know I have all these ideas in my head, and it seems less and less time.

BigG said...

wow, that was dead on bro... I have needed to hear that for awhile. It is time to make time for drawing agin.

Cruz said...

HEY MEN THAT INSPIRES ME, I´M JUST A FAN OF YOUR WORK BUT NOW I SEE THE REASON OF YOU GOOD WORK

SUERTE
VA

COMIKXGUY said...

YA SEE, I'M NOT THE ONLY ONE WHO TYPES BIG :)

Beaumont said...

You know, listening to you on Around Comics, one wouldn't expect such a sensitive and thgouth provoking posting from you. You continue to impress and amaze. And yes, you are effing awesome

Skottie Young said...

Thank you all. I'm glad you enjoyed both the post and the drawing. Hopefully if any of you have had the same experience you might remind yourselves of the same thing.

And Beaumont. Yes, I know. I think people that hear me on Around Comics forget that I spend 3 hours a week recording the show, and about 60 hours a week at a table drawing. And the two are like night and day. At AC I get to be a fan, and here, it's all about me being alone and inside my own head. So from time to time, I have to get all sappy on ya!

thanks again everyone.

John Beatty said...

That is a GREAT quote and the color sketch you made of it for your header graphic is sweet!

Nice job, Skottie!

-JBeatty

Ryan said...

YOU ROCK SKOTTIE.

mike . . . said...

well said, scottie.
well said.

very inspiring.
thanks for the reminder.
love the image you created for it as well.
so great.
:)

take care my friend,
mike . . .

daniel said...

i think anyone can learn from your wise words culled from the great c.s.

thanks for the insight and reminder.

Kane said...

Word!!!-T

COMIKXGUY said...

WERD!!!-S :)

PEPE said...

Lovely words and work!!

www.dustinevans.biz said...

Nice post.I can relate. I quit doing art full time for work about 2 years ago. I was miserable...but alas, I couldn't stay gone, so I came back, but I had a different mentality. I told myself to not forget WHY I do this for a living. It's what I love...

I can remember the first thing I enjoyed drawing. I used to want to be a paleontologist, because I loved Dinosaur books. I bought a how to draw dinosaurs book, and I soon found out that I liked drawing more than the dinosaurs. Since then, I've never stopped drawing.

Alikins said...

FANtastic! Both in word and in illo ~ simply fantastic! :)

estudio baobab said...

And that´s why I´m surfing trough your blog instead of coloring that last page...

So much time spent earning money that we forget why whe do what we do, and sometimes it´s not easy to concentrate in your work because it´s just work.

Time to step back and draw at least a little for fun, like you´re doing in this blog.

Thanks for your comment.

Javi Montes

hxero said...

I like what you said here... I really do love drawing but here in my country (I've been a clean-up?in-between artist), it doesn't pay much so I only got to draw after office hours...

graham said...

Thanks for this, man. Your stuff has been an inspiration to me for a long time - and it's good to get reminded that we need to hold on to the kid, the sense of wonder, and the love.

Richard said...

Very inspirational quote and your thoughts on it are dead on. I see proof of it when I draw next to my son. It is all so easy for him. What is the font style used in your header (the one used for the quote itself). I love that childrens book, fantastical feel to it. What is it called?

Thanks!

Kait K. said...

So true, so true : )

Anonymous said...

Love those encouraging words!
It seems like we get so caught up in trying to make something of ourselves that we loose sight of why we started in the first place.

Great words!

freefun0616 said...

酒店經紀人,
菲梵酒店經紀,
酒店經紀,
禮服酒店上班,
酒店小姐兼職,
便服酒店經紀,
酒店打工經紀,
制服酒店工作,
專業酒店經紀,
合法酒店經紀,
酒店暑假打工,
酒店寒假打工,
酒店經紀人,
菲梵酒店經紀,
酒店經紀,
禮服酒店上班,
酒店經紀人,
菲梵酒店經紀,
酒店經紀,
禮服酒店上班,
酒店小姐兼職,
便服酒店工作,
酒店打工經紀,
制服酒店經紀,
專業酒店經紀,
合法酒店經紀,
酒店暑假打工,
酒店寒假打工,
酒店經紀人,
菲梵酒店經紀,
酒店經紀,
禮服酒店上班,
酒店小姐兼職,
便服酒店工作,
酒店打工經紀,
制服酒店經紀,
酒店經紀,

,