Monday, August 06, 2007

90's Image Week: Spawn



I've heard alot of people over the last few years take shots at the early days of Image Comics. The 90's, they suck...or so alot of people think. Yes, they introduced some shitty things like variant covers, and marketing ploys that caused a crash for collectors. But sometimes I think older fans forget what Image meant to a lot of us, especially those of us in our 20's, or early 30's. There are a lot of creators that are loved today that we might have if it wasn't for the early days of Image. I'm one of those creators. If Image would not have started, I probably would not be reading, or drawing comics. It was my introduction into the world of comic books. As I get older, some of the books and ideas seem a little silly yes, but they should right. I'm older now. I shouldn't find the same material stimulating at 29, the same way I did at 14. But I can appreciate what it did for me then, and all the great things that have happened in my life because of Image being thrust upon the world.

So, this week, all my warm ups will be of early Image Comics characters. Today, is Spawn. One of my favorites, and first books. This is the only book in my life in comics that I bought issue 1 and own every one after. It's had a long ride, and I will never forget the anticipation I had for the day the new issue would come out. It introduced me to one of my favorite artists then, and still today...Greg Capullo.

So, enjoy Image week...big shoulder pads, huge amount of pockets, and obnoxiously big guns, it's all love!

19 comments:

Scott Hume said...

haha fucking sweet man, nice job, I love the non photoshop version( though the colored version is still rad ) , can't wait to see the other characters, Shadowhawk was def one of my favs from that era, nice work as always dude.

Anonymous said...

you never cease to amaze me. great rendetion of spawn. i remember when image first hit a lot of people were like "who do these guys think they are". they proved them all wrong. i just wish some of the writing would have been better maybe some of the stories would still be relevant today. kick ass job though

frank

Andrew G. said...

That is awesome sir.

Ramses said...

This look so sinister and cool! really great!

Neil A. said...

That's an awesome Spawn!

WardArt said...

Nice job! I enjoyed being an active comic book collector during the spawn of IMAGE. Some were better than others, but it was fun.

I hope you do an original series DEATHBLOW.

Have you ever thought of doing sketches of the some of the old MARVEL UK books? Maybe DEATH'S HEAD?

Scott Forbes said...

Great piece Skottie!

I can safely say that I never cared for Spawn that much, since it debuted in '92, I was only 3 years old. My parent's never liked those types of comics anyways, so demonic... yeah... haha

But your rendition makes me like him a little bit more...

Oh and Human Torch and Josh's New Mutants covers started my love for comics.

By the way, the gallery should be finished soon!

Scott

PS Check out my blog @ http://blog.scofo.net

eugene commodore said...

As long as we can get Warblade from the Wild C.A.T.s out of these Image comics warm-ups all will be right with the world homie hehe.

Janderson said...

hey Man! I totally agree with you.
Great job on spawn.

Amer Kokh said...

i like it but i think you're soild lines is so much better that this style, though it rocks too. but im a big fan of your clean style.

Ed said...

amazing work as always skottie. He may not have any pants to put pockets on, or a belt for compartments, but hes still one of the main characters if not themost well known character for image comics. Capullo was one of the best spawn artists, still waitin for more creech work from him though. Miss that hulkin beast. Can't wait to see what else is in store this week from your warmups.

Mike Wieringo said...

That's a great post, Skottie... and well said. IMAGE was for your generation of creators what the late 70's and early 80's was for mine... and that inspiration and motivation that comics create for kids to want to go on and join the club is what it's all about, right?

Hopefully we're having that same effect on kids reading our stuff.....

Skottie Young said...

Thanks everyone, and thanks for stopping by Mike. I just got done checking out your blog, and come back to mine and here you are. haha. I can't wait to do my Tellos piece, as I already have it on my list.

www.dustinevans.biz said...

Nice take on spawn. I really like the skulls in the colored version.

I would have to agree, some crappy things came out of this era, but at the same time, Spawn alone breathed so much life into comics. Anyone remember the spawn flick? I think it started to get comic books attention from outside sources that would normally just disregard "funny books".

Mellon said...

abs, dude.

lots and lots of abs.

-mellon

lordseth said...

hey scottie love that spawn. cant wait to see whos next but i sure hope somewhere is a grifter drawing.i found a video of you drawing at a con.it was short but still awsome. ...think about it.

Alikins said...

wow! this is sweet!

Playkill said...

Thats awesome! Love how the eyes really come forward with that green.

freefun0616 said...

酒店經紀人,
菲梵酒店經紀,
酒店經紀,
禮服酒店上班,
酒店小姐兼職,
便服酒店經紀,
酒店打工經紀,
制服酒店工作,
專業酒店經紀,
合法酒店經紀,
酒店暑假打工,
酒店寒假打工,
酒店經紀人,
菲梵酒店經紀,
酒店經紀,
禮服酒店上班,
酒店經紀人,
菲梵酒店經紀,
酒店經紀,
禮服酒店上班,
酒店小姐兼職,
便服酒店工作,
酒店打工經紀,
制服酒店經紀,
專業酒店經紀,
合法酒店經紀,
酒店暑假打工,
酒店寒假打工,
酒店經紀人,
菲梵酒店經紀,
酒店經紀,
禮服酒店上班,
酒店小姐兼職,
便服酒店工作,
酒店打工經紀,
制服酒店經紀,
酒店經紀,

,