Monday, August 13, 2007

A Friend has Passed: Mike Wieringo 1963-2007


Today the news that Mike Wieringo passed away on Sunday is all over the interent. I am actually trying to figure out a way to tell myself that it's all a big hoax. It is just too sad to try and believe. He was only 44.

I don't have to tell most of you what Mike meant to the art and comic world. He's probably a big reason that some of us are doing this today. But over the years, Mike had become a very good friend to me and spent many hours on the phone talking about art, bitching about...well everything, and just flat out trying to find away to keep pushing this medium. Mike was a veteran in this game and was always there to show his support to a young newbie like me. When the "cartoony" art that I draw wasn't floating with some people, Mike would be the guy to call me up and say "fuck em!" "they don't get it"...haha. He was a lively guy and had so much love for creating. Even here, some of you might have noticed his posts about trying to inspire new artists to come along and show us how to do it.

Mike will be missed by many, including me. So, this week's drawings will be tributes to good ol' Ringo.

12 comments:

Scott Hume said...

The was truly sad news, I remember reading Tellos when I was back in highschool, his art blew me away, he'll be missed.

Brent Schoonover said...

Not the way I wanted to start my drawing week. My thoughts are with his family. Sorry you lost a friend Skottie.

trialsze said...

I am still in shock. I knew Mike. Myself and Randy Green would ride to his Hillsborough studio and have lunch with him and Rich Case. Crazy. I loved his art and he was such a great person. He will be missed greatly.

Daydreamcomics said...

I never met Mike Wieringo. His art made a huge impact me. I love Tellos. I just recently read the Volume of Modern Masters dedicated to him. He struck me as a guy who did it his way. My favorite artist are the "Cartoony" ones. My heart goes out to his family and friends.

Skottie, My heart goes out to you.

Dave said...

holy shit dude, that's terrible. i told a friend of mine who's into comics about it and he thought i meant ringo starr. I would gladly trade 50 ringo starr's for 1 Mike Wieringo.

Neil Adams said...

This is incredibly sad news. I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your friend, Skottie.

www.dustinevans.biz said...

That's horrible news. I can't believe he's gone at such a young age...Sorry for your loss Skottie, and sorry for the loss to the comic community. No doubt his spirit and work will live on though. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family and friends.

Anonymous said...

i wish i would have had the chance to meet him. i always respected and loved his work but never had the chance to say hello to the man! he will be missed i'm sorry for your loss and my condolences go out to his family and friends.

frank

Mark said...

i couldn't believe it! i've just been sitting saying what? for the last few minutes... that's terribly sad! his art was so very good, and very inspirational. what a sad loss to the comic art community!

lordseth said...

i have to be honest i didnt know who MW was but after i saw his art online i remember seeing his art once before.i dont know anything about him but i am greatful to him for one thing,im greatful he inspired you to keep it goin and fuck those haters. im sorry for your loss dude. think of it this way ,,,,,hes with the greatest of all times, jack the king kirby nuff said

G said...

this is just too upsetting for me. One of my greatest influences in art has past away and I just can't believe it. Skottie mate I feel for you. And to you Ringo from all your fans in Australia may you rest in peace mate.

freefun0616 said...

酒店經紀人,
菲梵酒店經紀,
酒店經紀,
禮服酒店上班,
酒店小姐兼職,
便服酒店經紀,
酒店打工經紀,
制服酒店工作,
專業酒店經紀,
合法酒店經紀,
酒店暑假打工,
酒店寒假打工,
酒店經紀人,
菲梵酒店經紀,
酒店經紀,
禮服酒店上班,
酒店經紀人,
菲梵酒店經紀,
酒店經紀,
禮服酒店上班,
酒店小姐兼職,
便服酒店工作,
酒店打工經紀,
制服酒店經紀,
專業酒店經紀,
合法酒店經紀,
酒店暑假打工,
酒店寒假打工,
酒店經紀人,
菲梵酒店經紀,
酒店經紀,
禮服酒店上班,
酒店小姐兼職,
便服酒店工作,
酒店打工經紀,
制服酒店經紀,
酒店經紀,

,