Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Ringo: Tellos Mourning


Koj and Jarek from Mike and Todd's book Tellos, while fictional characters, also will feel the loss of Mike Wieringo. Even thought it as been a long while since we've seen new Tellos material, Mike LOVED those characters and that world. If any of you kept up with his blog, it was never too long before he would return to draw his Tellos characters.

Today will be the only sad drawing for Mike though. The thing that bugged Mike the most about comics today was that it seemed that there was no more room for fun in comics. Mike was 44, but artistically he wanted to be 12 forever. Don't get me wrong, Mike could get as pissed about things as anyone and he did not hold back when letting out his feelings about the direction things have gone. He would joke, "Damn Skottie, you probably get sick of me calling and bitching about comics." But I knew that is wasn't coming from a bad place. He just wanted to draw fun things and didn't think that it was bad to want to do kid stories. He thought things got too serious in comics, and that he didn't fit here anymore. But we know that's not true. It wasn't Mike that didn't fit. It was comics in general that has cut itself off from all the great creators out there, including Mike, to offer less and less options. But, while he might not have been thrilled with what he was doing, he always had big ideas stacked up and waiting for him to focus on. That is the saddest part to me. The ideas that Mike talked about getting one day...unfortunately will never find their way to our hands. That one day will never come.

So, that's what I will take away from this. The term one day, or some day, or later will no longer be a part of me. This lets me know that those phrases could very well be tomorrow. There will be no more putting off what I want to accomplish...One day is today.

I will miss Mike's passion for what he loved. Even when that passion came off as flat out complaining...haha. It all comes from the same place.

19 comments:

Scott Hume said...

Really nice tribute man, it is so sad we lost him, Tellos was a true joy to read, and something that will never be forgotten.

Strictly Joe said...

Great Tribute Skottie.

This is still really hard to believe, everyone I know in the comic circles always talk very highly of this man.

My Prayers will be with his friend and family.

RIP

chrishaley said...

Thank you very much for this.
I don't know how comics will ever be the same without Mike Wieringo.

Anonymous said...

great tribute to a great man skottie. i hope there will be room for fun comics that mike would have appreciated.

Andy Jewett said...

Mike always returned my emails and genuinely took an interest in aspiring artists always offering encouragement and motivation... I am a nobody in this industry but he NEVER made me feel that way... this is heartbreaking to say the least. prayers.

Scott Arnold said...

A fitting tribute - I like the almost Japanese watercolour feel - it seems a fitting, even in the darker tones, tribute to Mike's vision and ideas about the world of Tellos. Nicely done.

s.

Grant Gould said...

excellent art tribute, skottie..

Dec said...

Lovely tribute Skottie. The only consolation i can take from this sad, sad news is that at least he left us so much amazing work for us all to remember him by.

Dec.

DPetersen said...

Beautiful piece Scotty!

I agree that as a nobody in this business Mike never made you feel that way. I sent him a brief reply to his latest e-mail a week or so ago thinking 'I'll catch up with him in Baltimore'

damn.

samax said...

i agree with everything you said. what a great guy, and what a loss to the art world.

Daydreamcomics said...

"I have ideas that one day i will get to." I just recently started working on a project that is very close to my heart. I know i needed to start it because if I didn't do it now, then when would I?. When I heard of Mike's passing, I too had the same thoughts on this matter. Do what you always wanted to do someday, TODAY!

Neil Adams said...

What a great blob post, Skottie. That's beautiful.

Neil Adams said...

I meant BLOG post, of course. What a dumb typo. :(

Gary Bingaman II said...

Mike's work has been a constant favorite of mine since i was around 12 or so... so much beauty, cheer and most importantly FUN... I will miss his work. He was very lucky to have such caring friends, such as yourself.... your words touched my heart.

RIP Mr. Wieringo... we all will forever be inspired by you.

Alikins said...

it certainly captures the sadness one feels on the passing of a friend ~ he would have loved this piece ... it's beautiful!

laseraw said...

beautiful tribute
such an unfortunate motivation
.
.
.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Brian said...

Skottie,

What a great choice of subject as a tribute to Mike. Not only was Tellos his favorite, but it is also, at its heart, a story about dealing with loss.

freefun0616 said...

酒店經紀人,
菲梵酒店經紀,
酒店經紀,
禮服酒店上班,
酒店小姐兼職,
便服酒店經紀,
酒店打工經紀,
制服酒店工作,
專業酒店經紀,
合法酒店經紀,
酒店暑假打工,
酒店寒假打工,
酒店經紀人,
菲梵酒店經紀,
酒店經紀,
禮服酒店上班,
酒店經紀人,
菲梵酒店經紀,
酒店經紀,
禮服酒店上班,
酒店小姐兼職,
便服酒店工作,
酒店打工經紀,
制服酒店經紀,
專業酒店經紀,
合法酒店經紀,
酒店暑假打工,
酒店寒假打工,
酒店經紀人,
菲梵酒店經紀,
酒店經紀,
禮服酒店上班,
酒店小姐兼職,
便服酒店工作,
酒店打工經紀,
制服酒店經紀,
酒店經紀,

,