Sunday, August 19, 2007

Strange Days



I've been excited about this being solicited so I could post it here. For skottieyoung.com regulars you know that I've really pushing myself in different directions lately, and it all started with the Cable & Deadpool covers. Each one has been a chance to learn something new and have some fun. I think I've said this before, but this is my favorite of my C&DP covers. I just allowed myself to scribble a little and really just have fun.

You can see here the steps that I took to get to the end at the top. A quick thumbnail, about 3 inches tall. Then I do a quick photoshop comp to get an idea if I'm going to be able to take somewhere. I only spent about 10 min or so just to see I can get a feel for it. Obviously from the end, the color comp didn't make it through all that much but it did allow me to send off and get approval. Then I blow that image up and print it out in very light blue ink. On the full size print out I start sketching the more refined version of my thumb. You can see here I was pretty lucky and was able to keep it almost exactly without having to redraw too much. I still don't spend too much time trying to keep it clean. I don't need, or want it clean. Then I pull out my brush and start inking. Every line is put down pretty quickly just to keep a feeling of energy in the final. Now my line art is done and it's time to scan, and start throwing some color around. I just really go to town until I think it's done, or the deadline tells me I'm done.

Honestly, I don't shit about Dr. Strange, but I loved drawing him. I think it's an odd mix with DP's guns and this wizard type character. But at the end of the day, I'm happy with this one. I think my next one will be fully painted. Don't hold me too it just in case I fuck it up, but I'm going to try it out.

enjoy
s.

19 comments:

Mark said...

Hey Skottie,

I just want to tell you that I have been a big fan of your work for awhile now. Both the clean linework you use for the comics and the dynamic linework you utilize for the covers are phenomenal.

Again, all the hard work you put into the industry is greatly appreciated. Keep it going!

Dirk the Jerk
http://dirk-the-jerk.deviantart.com/

Scott Hume said...

nice job man, I really liked seeing the Step by step, you draw one badass Dr Strange, and a fully painted cover, damn man that would sick!.

trialsze said...

Really cool cover bro. Can I ask you how did you do your ink splanter? How did you control it? Can't wait to see more.

Boothy said...

Nice stuff, reminds me of Sam Kieth.

My only slight crit is that DP's guns look 2d, but apart from that it's ace.

Neil Adams said...

Wow! I love that Doc Strange and Deadpoll art. That's awesome!

Hey Skottie, did you get my e-mail last week, inquiring about a NXM page availability? It was from Monday, I believe. :)

Chrissie A said...

Outstanding piece! I love the energy in this. Great to see the roughs leading up to the final as well.

EJ said...

Dude all your stuff is amazing. I LOVE your work on New X-Men.

I wish I can see you doing more of the teen heroes in the Marvel U like the Young Avengers since you already pulled off the Runaways. Maybe a Wiccan spread...hint hint. Keep up the good work!

Neal said...

I dig it, man, love the energy that you've kept from your original sketch.

Tobey said...

Looks great! Dr. Strange and Deadpool is kind of an odd combination for a piece, but it seems to work well :)

By the way, I've been enjoying your appearances on Around Comics and the Crankcast. You should look into coming to Emerald City Comiccon next year. I bet you'd have a blast!

eugene commodore said...

Dang Thats dope homie

Diego! said...

Man... each time I see your work, I'm more and more fan of you!

Dani Lucanu said...

Every day i enter here I get a surprise.

Love it, skottie (=

Henry said...

Fuck, that cover is so good. Skottie I am a huuuuuge fan of your C&D work, you have no idea. Down with Michael Turner, up with Skottie Young!

lordseth said...

dude i love the new style. ive been trying it myself,,,,,its diffrent but fun as hell. ive learned that with this style dont think too much just go nuts and let your hands and you mind go crazy and its amazing what appears. keep up the good work.

Delva Borno said...

looks great love the new x-men the characters are great

Josh Schippe said...

Which Dr. Strange did you draw first, this one or the cameo in New X-Men 41? Because, for a character you don't give a shit about, both renderings are pretty sweet.

It's a crime you're leaving New X-Men because it's getting so good right now. But, i know you're psyched for your new projects, so I know it'll be all good.

Mellon said...

you using painter or photoshop? i like that you get a look like you layer a lot of paint on then scrape it off the reveal the beneath shit. that's why i'm curious as to whether it's digital or not.

also? it's a pretty fuckin' sweet cover.

-mellon

Jörn G Punkt said...

Wow, the style is really good. Interresting to see the way.

freefun0616 said...

酒店經紀人,
菲梵酒店經紀,
酒店經紀,
禮服酒店上班,
酒店小姐兼職,
便服酒店經紀,
酒店打工經紀,
制服酒店工作,
專業酒店經紀,
合法酒店經紀,
酒店暑假打工,
酒店寒假打工,
酒店經紀人,
菲梵酒店經紀,
酒店經紀,
禮服酒店上班,
酒店經紀人,
菲梵酒店經紀,
酒店經紀,
禮服酒店上班,
酒店小姐兼職,
便服酒店工作,
酒店打工經紀,
制服酒店經紀,
專業酒店經紀,
合法酒店經紀,
酒店暑假打工,
酒店寒假打工,
酒店經紀人,
菲梵酒店經紀,
酒店經紀,
禮服酒店上班,
酒店小姐兼職,
便服酒店工作,
酒店打工經紀,
制服酒店經紀,
酒店經紀,

,