Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Yea, that's some OLD SCHOOL shit: Undertow



I've decided to reach into the vault for a few weeks as a subject for my warm ups. For those of you who have been kick ass enough to have followed my career even before it was a career, you might remember this material. We're talking 2000 baby.

My first online home was "The Remixx". A site started by me and an old friend of mine, Jacob. We thought we ran the world man...no one was better than us. A few 21/22 years old thinking that we were going to break the spine of the art world with something never seen. Hahaha. Kids are funny. But he and I created this story called Undertow. It really was an interesting story and I've always hoped to reunite with Jacob to get this project out.

So, anyway, the story was a futuristic tale of 3 kids that find an entire world hidden deep under the earths surface. A full society that lives underground. It had a Mad Max/Steampunk/Fifth Element feel to it. Now that we're 7 years away from it I realize that it could use some retooling and a few tweaks. But honestly, it still kicks a little ass.

This is a quick rethinking of my favorite character from the project. Rapskallion, a crazy scavenger that is the only member of the underground world to still go to the surface for random things. Living in Chicago, we have what I call the "Alley Vultures". Mad Max looking trucks that cruse the alley's looking for metal. It's fucking crazy how much shit they stack on the back of these beaters. Rapskallion is that to our world. He looks for things needed, wanted, etc. for the people of the underground society.

Here you can see my 2000, I don't know how to really draw yet version. Very flat, and not alot of function to the design. At this point design didn't need to function, it just needed to look cool (or what ever I thought was cool at the time.)

My new take gives him a little more practical function with out getting rid of some of the cool Mad Maxy shit going on.

Over the next few weeks I'm going to keep reaching into the world of Undertow and have some fun revisit some of these old drawings.

enjoy
s.

14 comments:

Neil Adams said...

Undertow sounds really cool, Skottie! I'd read it! These visits to the vault are going be fun.

lordseth said...

dude love the old school shit. its what hooked me back in the days. glad your revisiting it . crossing both the old and the new would look great.......keep them coming......ps do you personally know Carlos Meglia?.......if so do you or anyone else know where i can find links to his work?

Mana said...

Haha, yeah- I'm remembering - you still owe me a drawing from one of the contests! xD

It was great to see you evolving artistically over the last years...was it really 6 years ago?! Insane!
But it's still kinda cool stuff- a good friend and I had a similar style back then and thought too, we were the greatest(style is all, knowledge is nothing)! ;) Foolish kids, hell yeah!

www.dustinevans.biz said...

I remember seeing this stuff on the old Led Heavy website. Always dug this stuff. I think you had a character with pipes coming out of his back and cool shit like that.

-Dustin Evans
www.dustinevans.biz

dmcgee said...

Rad man, really nice. The early design feels like it had a lot of Battlechasers to it, just in terms of the shapes in the gloves and shoulders, the final design feels much more based on your real vision of the character and his purpose.

You know it reminds me a bit of Joe Tem Seung's work - you remember that cat?

I was listening to you on Around Comics the other day remembering Ringo, and I've been listening to his old interviews. Also to Middleton, when you guys called him up about Ringo.

What is it that keeps you guys from breaking out with non superhero stuff? I really wish some sort of mentor had talked Ringo into entering the European market, having a go at the fantasy based hardback Bandes Desinees that thrive so well over there. I heard a lot of "the market doesn't support anthropomorphism" from people in those interviews, and it drives me f*cking batty.

Kids don't like figures with animal heads anymore? They don't like a whole society living underground?
We're really going to believe that because some idiot executives in backward looking comic companies in a deranged market in the US haven't figured out how to sell water in the desert yet? Those are the simplest, most compelling ideas, the sorts of thing that makes a kid fall over with excitement and curiosity.

I think the world would be richer for hardback, large page euro issues of stories like Sky Between Branches, Tellos and Undertow, drawn at the considered and slower European pace. Looking online there's precedent out the ass for it in the European market, not to mention the Japanese. This shit drives those markets.

It just frustrates the living christ out of me that Ringo died never getting to do what he actually wanted to do, the thing that would have fulfilled him, children's fantasy comics, when there's a whole continent a couple hours flight from the states where he could have been a superstar but for chance dropping him in the superhero market.

I hope people are able to learn from Ringo's frustration and follow their promises to live for today and actually make a move on their desires to do imaginative, new work, and not just in 6 issue pamphlet format back-of-the-comic store, tiny publisher stuff, but really take a leap and enter a market where this stuff is rightly revered. It's tough entering a royalty based market and losing the high paying page rates. It's tough giving up stripping for $500 bucks a night too, but if you want some self determination and satisfaction you have to give some shit up.

bog_art said...

Your work is so great!!.. it really inspires me to improve my art.. thanks for share!!..

Anonymous said...

You work is amazing, sir !

Diggin through "the archives" is a great thing to do.

A fresh pair of eyes and minds can always add something to an idea, no matter how old.

Even though its from 7 years ago, and you say you "couldnt draw yet", it still looks really really awesome !!

Daniel_the_drummer said...

Hey! I remember this off your old site. I thought itwas great, why are you saying that you couldn't draw back then?

Michael Jungbluth said...

hahah, I remember that pic, and thinking how much it fuckin rocked as I stared at it in school.

It's funny, someone was telling me yesterday that they didn't like your stuff, and they cited the work you did for the Exiles story as their reason. I just laughed at them and told them to join this century. Your stuff has really kicked into overdrive this last year or so.

ShapeStrong said...

My my arn't old art files great to look at? (or wince at) its fantastic to see how far you have come. Altho I with most people will say that your work looked damn good for "not really knowing how to draw".

eugene commodore said...

I remember that one thats all the way old school dude.

adam H. at Drawl Graphic said...

Hilarious!! I totally remember that image from your business card from waaaaay back. A friend of mine picked up at a comic con when you asked her if she would ink your stuff.

Aside from that, don't be too hard on yourself. Your stuff rocked back then, it just rocks more now.

freefun0616 said...

酒店經紀人,
菲梵酒店經紀,
酒店經紀,
禮服酒店上班,
酒店小姐兼職,
便服酒店經紀,
酒店打工經紀,
制服酒店工作,
專業酒店經紀,
合法酒店經紀,
酒店暑假打工,
酒店寒假打工,
酒店經紀人,
菲梵酒店經紀,
酒店經紀,
禮服酒店上班,
酒店經紀人,
菲梵酒店經紀,
酒店經紀,
禮服酒店上班,
酒店小姐兼職,
便服酒店工作,
酒店打工經紀,
制服酒店經紀,
專業酒店經紀,
合法酒店經紀,
酒店暑假打工,
酒店寒假打工,
酒店經紀人,
菲梵酒店經紀,
酒店經紀,
禮服酒店上班,
酒店小姐兼職,
便服酒店工作,
酒店打工經紀,
制服酒店經紀,
酒店經紀,

,

andreafox21 said...

This is awesome stuff. I love your rendition of Rapskallion. The design feels lively and I hope you continue on making these old school drawings.

large printing