Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Look at this Rusty Mother F#@ker Right Here!



My last Marvel Adventures Ironman cover is wrapped up, and it was fun one to finish on. With the Marvel Adventure books being all ages, and geared more towards the younger crowd, Marvel prefers a more cartoon look these and there for they differ from the direction I've been going with all my other covers. But that doesn't mean that I can't still push myself to learn a thing or two and try to take my cartoony art to another place.

In this issue, Ironman finds himself trapped in some industrial town with out his armor (or something to that effect) and is forced to create some armor out of what's around him. So he cobbles together this Steam powered suit.

I used a more straight up line art style here, but used the brush for some effect to match the rusty feel I was going for. This helped to keep it from looking too smooth and let the textures blend a little better. I approached the colors in a more cell shaded style to give it the animated feel, but added metal textures to beef it up a tad. Then added some smoke/steam for effect.

Over all, I'm very pleased with the final product here. I'm sure I could still push a few things, but time always plays a factor.

enjoy
s.

22 comments:

Diggity said...

Fan-flippin-tastic!! I love the rusty look. You've really captured it perfectly. Simply awesome. And congrats on snaggin an iPhone. Haha.

Scott Hume said...

Another badass piece dude,love the look and feel of this one alot.

neil adams said...

WOW! That rocks so incredibly hard! I'm going to have to buy that comic just for the cover alone!

Dan Gray said...

Now thats a mean-looking Iron Man! I don't want to speak for everyone, but I think we would love to see a video of how this final piece came to be! (or any of your work) I know that takes a HUGE chunk of time, but that would be awesome.

Neal said...

Looks great, dude, love the design, and rendering. The difference clouds are a little distracting to me, a bit too uniform.

Check out Daniel Cox's blog. He's got a quick tut on how he created his Vader's Castle piece. He uses a brush, "Star 14 pixels" that works really, really well in creating smoke/clouds/steam/etc.

Basically, check Shape Dynamics, knock your opacity down to 10-20% and go to town.

My two cents,

Neal

Anonymous said...

dude are you kidding me that is awesome. i can see a little of the steampunk vibe in there. you rock man!

frank

Foad Ghorbani said...

Good job!

Brax Harrison said...

Aye! Steampunk-o-rific. Thanks for sharing your "how tos".

lordseth said...

how to , how to, how to! j/k,,,,,,,,,,no im not. but i love the pic. dude you rock.
i know we are askin alot of you with this how to thing.but it doesnt hurt to ask.
what is your next project? i havent heard anything.and i know i havnt seen it on here.

Playkill said...

Really diggin the new style!

TiGuntH said...

OUCH!! Please dude!! I can't breathe any more!!
wonderful!!

straight to my face!!
you rule!! i never stop to say that again!!
thanx a lot for all of these incredible pics!!

Anonymous said...

WOW¡¡ NO WORDS IT'S A GOOD WORK, WHAT IS IN YOUR FUTURE PROJECT

jason quinones said...

wow skottie!

your last three posts have been KILlER! this iron man is especially wicked! did you color this only using photoshop? the rusty colors and lighting fx are amazing!

i also agree that clutch are one of the best rock bands around. they're latest album is great and their best yet since jam room.

www.dustinevans.biz said...

I really dig the inked version. It's such a strong, graphic image with a lot of detail that pops. Nice work.

-Dustin

Shashank Acharya said...

Hi Skottie, brilliant work! I would like to introduce myself as Shashank from India. I am having comics/animation as my passion since childhood and love your work.
Could you look at my work and leave some comment for me to improvise on my work?
My blog is: http://www.doodlenooze.blogspot.com/

Its wonderful to be able to communicate with you here.
Thanks!

Willy said...

Awesome!

David said...

this is so cool!

Jav said...

thats an awesome color job... love the atmosphere...looks kick ass!

COMIKXGUY said...

he's got that iron giant bump on his head too :)

Zeepdoggie & GringO said...

Steampunk Iron Man! Very hot! Love the colors and the way they bring out all that texture. You never fail to amaze, Skottie.

BTW, are there any copies of your B-Sides available at DArk Tower? I friggin' hate using eBay. I will if I must, but if I can get it with my comic fix, so much the better. For me, at least.

Christian Zamorano Eats 3 Square Meals a Day said...

Long live pushing cartoony art!

freefun0616 said...

酒店經紀人,
菲梵酒店經紀,
酒店經紀,
禮服酒店上班,
酒店小姐兼職,
便服酒店經紀,
酒店打工經紀,
制服酒店工作,
專業酒店經紀,
合法酒店經紀,
酒店暑假打工,
酒店寒假打工,
酒店經紀人,
菲梵酒店經紀,
酒店經紀,
禮服酒店上班,
酒店經紀人,
菲梵酒店經紀,
酒店經紀,
禮服酒店上班,
酒店小姐兼職,
便服酒店工作,
酒店打工經紀,
制服酒店經紀,
專業酒店經紀,
合法酒店經紀,
酒店暑假打工,
酒店寒假打工,
酒店經紀人,
菲梵酒店經紀,
酒店經紀,
禮服酒店上班,
酒店小姐兼職,
便服酒店工作,
酒店打工經紀,
制服酒店經紀,
酒店經紀,

,