Thursday, November 29, 2007

Skate or Die


Today's post came from last nights Lead Poets Society drawing night.  We just did a free draw and I brought my brown paper with me.  It's a quick doodle really, but I'm pleased with it for what it is.  
This is really about a time I miss most in my life.  When I think about the past, I don't get sappy or wish I could go back...except when I think about my years of skating.  This really was the most fun time in my life.  We had a decent size crew, I would say anywhere from 5 to 20 guys on any given day.  And we skated, every...single...day.  If it was sunny and dry we were on the streets and if it was rainy we would go to I-Level (huge indoor skate park) or if it was to late for that, we would hit the parking garages.  Besides the indoor park, we had dirty ass, lowlife spots as well.  A club called Arkham that looked like some Mad Max shit with ramps that we built.  Another spot that a friends dad gave us.  A giant body shop on a closed Ford Dealership which we named SHUTDOWN.  It was like we never ran out of batteries and everyday would show new wounds of some sort.  Learning new tricks, watching your friends break limbs, getting that new board or wheels, FUCK!!!!  I loved that shit.  

We always sat around talking about how we'd all still be skating with each other when we were older, and getting gray, like we would be the ones to defy the odds and never stop skating.   To my knowledge, none on my crew remains.  A few have died, both from natural causes and some dumb ass drug shit.  A few are in prison for all types of stupid shit, and I swear, one is in there for killing a guy.  I wish it was shocking, but he was always bat shit crazy.  And the rest, like myself, just got older and moved on. (Though, I do still have a board that mocks me from it's home in the closest.)  Now it's been too long for me to be able to do anything but just role around, and maybe, just maybe, attempt some weak ass ollie.  Oh well, I'll always have the Tony Hawk games to make me feel like I still have it.  
enjoy
s.

21 comments:

Jason said...

Hah! I can say pretty much the same. Those were the "good ole days". Last year I was showing/trying to help one of my nephews how to ollie better. Well that was a mistake. It has/had been years since I was on a board (even though I had one in my closet just waiting to be ridden). Well I was skaing around on a tennis court showing him how to do better ollies and I hit something (rock?) and went flying to the pavement. I think I bruise a couple ribs doing that. And needless to say that was it. As much fun as it was "back in the day", it is now but a memory. So here's to good time!

Bixby Snipes said...

Ah sick you threw a shot out to the Tony games! Nice to see peps giving props on something you worked on.

Let me know if you need a copy of a hawk title, I'll bring it to a con... (if you ever make it to another one...ha!)

-B

DAN-VAN-COOL said...

Rad story man. I didnt Skate much but I use to be a pretty hardcore Mountian biker. Crazy drops, down hill, and trials. We had a secret area out side our town in sask, canada. We spend weekend after weeked making raps drop and trails. It was so much fun, alot with a few really painful moments. Rocky Mountian Soul, I had. It was worth more than my car. Probally still is :P

Lenny said...

Nice tale man. I was wondering, what do you use to draw White on the brown paper? Colored pencil? Crayon? Peace!

geo said...

Nice job il kie very much tour artwork ! thanks a lot for my eyes ;)

tides said...

i love that motion in the sketch.

and i know the feeling. i have an old board that mocks me above the drafting table... then again i guess i keep my mind off of it by working on alot of custom decks. there are those days though...

Landish said...

Yep!
You're totally right!
Skating the coolest thing in the world and it's a shame, when you understand, that you can continue skating, because a lot of circumstances.
But, hell yeah! We was skating and we spended time cool!

Anonymous said...

Have you ever designed a board, Skottie? I'd think something like this image on the bottom of a nice deck would be perfect for most lines... if you haven't, you should... cause, y'know, it's easy to find companies to pay artists to draw decks...

*sigh*

Dani Serrano said...

U have to try SKATE from EA, it beats TH games for sure!!

Nice sketch, btw! And i also skated when I was younger as u did, now I wish I could skate again but I'm sure I'd break my leg :S

Joey said...

This was a really nice post. Brings me back alittle bit too (I'm only 18, but it's been a couple years since me and my crew would skate together. Now we're all over the place and I gave up the normal skateboards for a nice long board to cruiz, and I almost always do that in between my classes at college and sometimes when I have a few drinks in me I'll cruiz around at night. Thanks for the nice post to bring me back a bit and the drawing is really nice.

-Joey

P.S. Sorry for the long message.

KrVaVi SaLe said...

Youre Icon Skottie.
Living proof that a giant everliving healthy tree can grow from nothing but asphalt, iron and concrete.

messytimbo said...

cool! i like this drawing a lot, it has great energy. and also by the way you talk about this i can tell this subject means a lot to you. i think it would be a great subject for a story, or a comic.

p.s what happened to the news about your next projects and stuff?

BigG said...

That's a cool drawing man. I love the feel it has.

rafa Dante said...

great movement...

Zeepdoggie & GringO said...

Yeah, I miss my days as a curb squirrel, the most fun being the competitions between what was more sick; the coolest trick of the day, or whose injury was worst.

It's amazing what you miss.

skyler said...

Let me just say (again) how much I enjoyed your art on New X-Men and how much I miss it now. I just read that New X-Men isn't in any of the February previews for Marvel... do you know if it's taking a month off, or is it being canceled?

dustin said...

ah...i love this piece man. i had a vision and a huge ass abandoned 3 leveled mall parking structure... good times.

Adam said...

Skottie, check out www.boardpusher.com
You can upload your own art and get custom decks! how sick is that? It is what every artist/skater ever wanted a deck of their very own!

Mike said...

Nice Post I must say it takes me back a little to. We called ourselves the TC crew which stood for the Thornton Crew :-) how cheezy.. We thought it was cool as shit though:-).

Its funny how you think you will skate until your limbs just crumble away and you think your gonna be doing it with the same people your whole life.

I must say my story went like yours did. One of my buddies is in jail for attempted murder on a police officer, suicides all of that.

Im only 23 now and still find time to skate by myself or with 1 or 2 of the people that are left from the TC Crew :-) It's really cool to see a bunch of different people from all around the world can relate to the same thing.

Much props on you sketch 2 that is SICK!! I dont sketch too much anymore now that Ive been animating soo much. Feel free to check out my work at www.yorkanimates.com

It would be cool to sk8 with you some day and chat about comics and art and skating. Nice post man I never comment on blog stuff but this one really hit home for me :-)

Anonymous said...

Yea dude ilevel was great the curb room and mini the double roll in! skate all day all night then go skate some more. miss that place, or the good times i guess big ups peace

freefun0616 said...

酒店經紀人,
菲梵酒店經紀,
酒店經紀,
禮服酒店上班,
酒店小姐兼職,
便服酒店經紀,
酒店打工經紀,
制服酒店工作,
專業酒店經紀,
合法酒店經紀,
酒店暑假打工,
酒店寒假打工,
酒店經紀人,
菲梵酒店經紀,
酒店經紀,
禮服酒店上班,
酒店經紀人,
菲梵酒店經紀,
酒店經紀,
禮服酒店上班,
酒店小姐兼職,
便服酒店工作,
酒店打工經紀,
制服酒店經紀,
專業酒店經紀,
合法酒店經紀,
酒店暑假打工,
酒店寒假打工,
酒店經紀人,
菲梵酒店經紀,
酒店經紀,
禮服酒店上班,
酒店小姐兼職,
便服酒店工作,
酒店打工經紀,
制服酒店經紀,
酒店經紀,

,