Monday, March 17, 2008

City Mouse


First off, a bit of business.  I have a new auction going on for the Deadpool and Wolverine cover.  Go put in your bid.

Everyone that checks out this blog knows that I'm not one to wax poetic about much.  I do well to draw a few pieces between watching movies, cursing about what ever and  working.  But today I am probably going to sound a bit introspective and I apologize to those of you I make sick...haha.

Today's warm up is inspired by a change that is coming in a few months.  The city mouse is leaving for the country and so am I.  As I type this, I hear an airplane flying over so low I can hear the "put you seat backs up..." and all that, a fire engine is whaling for the 5th time today, and to put a cherry on the top of this urban sunday...a car alarm that will not get turned off for another 15 minutes is parked in front of my house.  Casey and I have decided it's time for a change and we will be saying good-bye to Chicago.  We love Chicago...but it's time to try something else.

We've talked about moving out of the city for a few years now but always toss the idea out at the last minute.  This time, we're sticking to our guns, packing up and heading for the hills.  The catch is... we're not quite sure where we want to go yet.  The Nashville area is very high on the list, but we've not decided yet.  So, we're getting a storage unit for out crap, and will be resting our heads with our family for a few months while we travel a little to see where we want to go.  Of course I will also be working during this time, but having the freedom to take a little time to check out some places with proper time will help us choose.  
I'm excited and nervous and anxious and reluctant and, and, and.  I want a house, a yard, a studio out back, and a lot of other things that I will never have living in the city unless I'm willing to pay bizarre amounts of money.  I feel that shaking things up a little will help add a new level the creative side as well.  The change in my surroundings will do some good and hopefully give me a little more time to explore some of my personal projects.  The less money I have to send out the door, the less projects I have to take on and the more time I'll have for myself and those projects that have been sitting on the shelf for so long.

The downside will be leaving my great group of friends here.  Most looked at our choice to leave a great move, and some can't understand it at all.  I'll miss the hell out of everyone here and will still be making trips to the city for drawing nights and the outings that we usually do.  I'll only be about 2 hours outside the city for a least a few months.  
Ok, I'm done with all this personal diary babble... 

23 comments:

Sean said...

Sounds like a good change Skottie. Seems like the country would be a prefect environment to work on something like this OZ story you are doing. I also i agree that it will help the creative flow.

I made the same change a little bit ago leaving Pittsburgh. The hardest thing to adjust to i would say is trying to sleep. It sounds weird but i found that for awhile the absence of that ambient noise that a city has compared to the emptiness of sound in the country is the hardest to get use to.

Good luck though and im sure everything will work out for the best.

-Sean-

Chrispy said...

Haha, YOU OUTTA HERE MAN!

Its all gravy man, im terribly happy for you and Casey yo. You guys deserve the best, and i think this is a good step towartds the best.

Like i told you that night man, i got the feeling that me and my lady and the little guy wont be too far behind you, lol. We are getting that bug as well.

Either way man, i definitely enjoy chilling with you guys, and i feel like we got a lot more chill sessions coming up in the future man. All the best to you guys, and heres to a new step in the best direction.

PEACE!

Chris.....CRASH IS THE GREATEST MOVIE EVER!!!!!! FUCK YOU!lol.

Justin3000 said...

Yo man, the Kentucky Bluegrass would welcome you with open arms.

andy kuhn said...

scottie,

you oughta' think about moving to the southwest. it's a beautiful part of the country. if you come through albuquerque in your travels give me a call so i can take you to lunch. mike norton has my number.
good luck wherever you land!

andy kuhn

Grant Gould said...

kudos to you, man!

i would try to entice you to come live here in minnesota (a mellow nerdy community, not much hustle & bustle, and cheap living!) but it's probably a little too close to illinois in terms of location and weather for ya. :) anyway, good luck on your new home search!

Lenny said...

Why can't all your blogs be like this? Ah well. Chicago will miss you man. It's losing one of it's coolest cats. May good fortune be on whatever path you choose. Safe travels. Safe returns.
-Lenny

pablo said...

it's a tough decision. My parents made a similar choice a couple years ago when they moved upstate NY with my sis. They wanted a yard for the dogs to play in a shed out back a lot of the same things you were saying.
They love it they are only 2 hours away from the City I They come down about twice a month for one reason or another. It's nice though the fresh air and open space is a nice change from the busy pricey city life

DAN-VAN-COOL said...

Good luck withe move man. I know where you coming from as far as a description goes on the neighborhood. Not the best atmosphere to get allot of work done. Thank goodness I have my happy spot now.
Do what you need to do...Its not like I'm taking you off my links or something crazy like that.
Take Care & best of luck.

Anonymous said...

1st time on da blog, skottie do whats rt for u and ur girl man. gotta look out for #1! sounds mean but from my experience, its da rt thing to do bro.live in NJ and worked in NY for six yrs.as a textile print artist.been there done that. our choice was Raleigh,NC. loved it but we really missed our families. u get used to it after a while. made some life long friends too. best of luck man. good journeys

lordseth said...

wow my storys just like anonymous lived in jersey city nj and worked in new york city for most of my life, we decided the city was too much for us and our little ones so it was time for a change and we moved to garner NC, and yes it is wierd at first and you will clash with the folks here over certain issues, but you get over that and you see it was worth it ,,,no more loud car stereos noisey buses, smog,gun fire, over here its crickets and deers all the time . well we would love to have you here in NC.butwhere ever you go good luck and keep in mind its all for the best .

Anonymous said...

Travel while your young no pun intented. As someone who grew up an moved from chicago an lived in LA an now reside in Charlotte NC , know that you will never replace chicago food I've tried you wont find a good substitue. but moving away an having the house with the yard an all thats a great thing an I hope you find your slice of heaven.

UNIT-1978 said...

Good luck to you man on your journey wherever it may take you. As always keep up the great work.

Mellon said...

cowtown calling for mr. young, mr. young, will you accept a call from cowtown?

KC's done alright by a few of us, don't be afraid to stop by.

-mellon

Aaron said...

love your art man! best luck and wishes with your new move!

El Dude said...

Love the art...Nashville is nice...I've been there several times. I left upstate NY and ended up falling in love with Charlotte, NC. Greene 90% of the year!

Jen said...

I can totally relate... while I can't see leaving here anytime soon, I know I'll get sick of it eventually. Good luck to you and Casey with everything!

Bradley News said...

broseph,

this is daniel brantley here. hit me up if you need a place to crash. we're about 2 hours from nashville. have enough space for you to stay a while if needed. about 700 square feet in the basement with a kitchen and bathroom.

ya heard?

even if you just want somewhere as a base while you look around, that'd be just fine. if you don't take us up, my brother's in nashville, as is your roommate of old. i betcha either would love to have you crash.

blessings on your move...

daniel@bradleynewsgroup.com

Skottie Young said...

Thanks for all the support everyone. I think it's going to be fun as hell to just start changing things.

Jen, hope all is well!

Daniel b.- Thanks for the offer brother. Really! We will keep in mind if we need it. How are things your way?

Andy K- I was actually in Santa Fe early in the year on vacation. Thanks for the invite as well and when we're out that way again I'll take you up!

Anonymous said...

Dude! just wanted to say good luck with the search. you need any info on the spots here in the southwest let me know at JASONSCHOLTE@HOTMAIL.COM. Depending on what you are looking for I can give you the info on areas from best of my knowledge of visiting all around the south here from another Chicagoan's perspective.

good luck!

Bradley News said...

things are rocking and socking, my friend. rocking and socking.

take it easy, comrade.

Hett said...

Hey I've noticed a mention or two about Charlotte, NC and believe it or not I was going to recommend the same thing. I'll be finishing up my last year at Ringling next year and then I have a job offer waiting for me in Charlotte. I've visited there a couple of times and it is absolutely gorgeous. Don't tell anyone else. It's a well kept secret ;) I love your artwork by the way. New X-Men was the only comic I really looked forward to getting each month while you were on it. Hope to see more soon.

COMIKXGUY said...

good luck skottie

bummer about not being on around comics

freefun0616 said...

酒店經紀人,
菲梵酒店經紀,
酒店經紀,
禮服酒店上班,
酒店小姐兼職,
便服酒店經紀,
酒店打工經紀,
制服酒店工作,
專業酒店經紀,
合法酒店經紀,
酒店暑假打工,
酒店寒假打工,
酒店經紀人,
菲梵酒店經紀,
酒店經紀,
禮服酒店上班,
酒店經紀人,
菲梵酒店經紀,
酒店經紀,
禮服酒店上班,
酒店小姐兼職,
便服酒店工作,
酒店打工經紀,
制服酒店經紀,
專業酒店經紀,
合法酒店經紀,
酒店暑假打工,
酒店寒假打工,
酒店經紀人,
菲梵酒店經紀,
酒店經紀,
禮服酒店上班,
酒店小姐兼職,
便服酒店工作,
酒店打工經紀,
制服酒店經紀,
酒店經紀,

,