Wednesday, August 27, 2008

That Feeling



Today's art posts are nothing to write home about, but they're an example of what a lot of days are spent producing.  When we see a brand new car, we rarely think about the amount of time or how rough and strange the underbelly looked while building it.  But that's all the time was spent looking at.  Same with art.  The pages and covers that we show you on these blogs, and you see in print, are the versions of the piece that we worked towards but spent the least amount of time with.  I spent more of the my days with pieces like this.  Rough sketches, doodles, and light blue lines to ink.  

These are my actual pencils.  Ink will be added on this.  Of course, I turn the black lines to blue and print them out, but I will ink these rough panels from this stage.  If  you ever see the pencils of guys like Joe Mad, J. Scott Campbell, and a ton of other guys, you'll notice a mind bending cleanliness and precision.  Every line is perfect and the line weights have been penciled in and build up.  I used to try to do that.  I used to think that's how it had to be done.  I realized that it works for some people, but no for me.  I found that keeping things bit of mystery, even going into the inking stage allows me to have fun until the end.  When I used to ink over my clean pencils, I felt like I was a robot, following lines I had already drawn.  It was always strange, and frustrating and I fooled myself into thinking that I hated inking.   Turns out I love, I just needed to rework my thought process.

On top of the technical side of the drawings, look at what I get to draw.  A sad Scarecrow and a crow that's not at all scared.  The crow has bushy eyebrows, sideburns, and specs.  Come on, how fun is that, man!!!!  I found myself smiling while I worked that page thinking to myself "It's been along time since I felt this happy while drawing".  Really.  There's a since of freedom working on Oz that I haven't experienced yet.  The world allows for so much fun, from the characters to the landscape.  It's just great!!  

Ok, there's my mushy, long winded entry for today.  Enjoy.

21 comments:

Roland said...

Thanks for posting this. It's easy to forget about the roughs behind all the great work. Really looking forward to Oz. It's looking sweet

James said...

Skottie,

Thanks for the mushy, long winded entry today. It makes my day to be given the opportunity to see behind the curtain and view the amount of process that goes into a graphic story.

It is truly inspiring to see the amount of commitment and passion you have towards your work.

It often makes me put pencil to paper.

Keep up all the great work.

Cheers,
James

jt ford said...

Yours in one of the few blogs I check in on every single day, Skottie. I love these longer, genuine posts.

Keep at it man, you are doing fantastic work.
-Tana

jawad said...

Skottie,

Thanks for giving us an inside peek into the production stages of your artwork.

Please excuse me for being a noob but wanted to know how would you change black line art to blue? Do you scan your sketch and then go over it on photoshop? OR are you doing all your sketches on your cintiq?

Thanks again!

Skottie Young said...

Thanks all. I used to sketch it, scan it, then change in photoshop. Now I'm doing all layouts and pencils in digitally, switching to blue in PS and the printing it out and inking with a brush.

drewblom said...

Heyo,

Good post. I too often get bogged down with whether or not I'm doing it "right." I think you have to figure out a lot of technique for yourself. I'm certainly not there yet. Anyway, thanks for the thoughts.

122476 said...

cool stuff!!!
i feel your pain!!!
:D

Scott Hume said...

I really love the second panel dude, the design of the crow is great, you can honestly tel your having a alot of fun working on this.

Odd Voodoo said...

I cannot wait to see this completed. Fantastic.

Lenny said...

Dude, this is what i'm talkin' bout!

I love it when you give some insight to how things are done. I'm still learning the ropes and I really enjoy it when you break it down and explain things.

Keep on rockin' Mr. Young!

lordseth said...

god i live for this stuff. this post was amazing very insightful on how you work your magic.i dont want all your secrets,(BS) but just a taste. i have photoshop, but man i think i may have to go to college to learn how to work it.ill keep trying. keep up the great work

William Dean Blankenship Jr. said...

Very cool. I've recently enjoyed exploring almost the opposite process, penciling traditional and inking in the computer. The fear of screwing up the inks sort of freed me to have fun in them.

I'm eagerly awaiting OZ. Love the podcast.

3!LL

benjatoon studio said...

beutiffull works dude!!!! :))

Javier Giangiacomo said...

Amazing work as always, man. Totally agree with you on the working technique, besides feelling as a robot inking, when I get to ink my own pencils, it's like doing twice the same job if I spent a lot of time doing a very tight pencilling.
And a rough pencilled drawing sometimes has more life than a very tightened one, and sometimes I noticed that my drawings looses a lot in the tightening process, so from rough to inks is totally my choice.
Keep the great work!
JG.

P.J. Magalhães said...

love hearing about artists having fn doing their things. Plus, i agree, that does look like one fun drawing to work on. :)

Thanks for posting!

Michael said...

It's so great when an Illustrator enjoys their work as much as you are now. it really comes through man. Awesome compositions.

Javi García said...

Nice blog here!

Cheers!

Shin Genko said...

I still do mostly scan then everything in Photoshop, though I can work all digital. I just have more fun the other way.

I'm not good enough to work as a comic artist professionally just yet :3

I really admire your work cause mine is similar.

You have a freedom in your work, and a sketchy feel that doesn't seem sooo....monotonous? Like some of the other artists I see. Now I love the work of other artists, but your stuff is just so much more "free" feeling, and I like that a lot!

Urban Barbarian said...

I'm with you. Especially with the inking. My pencils have always been loose but my inks were always tight. Now I'm trying to keep things a bit more fresh with my line.

Your work is a real inspiration!

Anonymous said...

看房子,買房子,建商自售,自售,台北新成屋,台北豪宅,新成屋,豪宅,美髮儀器,美髮,儀器,髮型,EMBA,MBA,學位,EMBA,專業認證,認證課程,博士學位,DBA,PHD,在職進修,碩士學位,推廣教育,DBA,進修課程,碩士學位,網路廣告,關鍵字廣告,關鍵字,課程介紹,學分班,文憑,牛樟芝,段木,牛樟菇,日式料理, 台北居酒屋,日本料理,結婚,婚宴場地,推車飲茶,港式點心,尾牙春酒,台北住宿,國內訂房,台北HOTEL,台北婚宴,飯店優惠,台北結婚,場地,住宿,訂房,HOTEL,飯店,造型系列,學位,SEO,婚宴,捷運,學區,美髮,儀器,髮型,看房子,買房子,建商自售,自售,房子,捷運,學區,台北新成屋,台北豪宅,新成屋,豪宅,學位,碩士學位,進修,在職進修, 課程,教育,學位,證照,mba,文憑,學分班,台北住宿,國內訂房,台北HOTEL,台北婚宴,飯店優惠,住宿,訂房,HOTEL,飯店,婚宴,台北住宿,國內訂房,台北HOTEL,台北婚宴,飯店優惠,住宿,訂房,HOTEL,飯店,婚宴,台北住宿,國內訂房,台北HOTEL,台北婚宴,飯店優惠,住宿,訂房,HOTEL,飯店,婚宴,結婚,婚宴場地,推車飲茶,港式點心,尾牙春酒,台北結婚,場地,結婚,場地,推車飲茶,港式點心,尾牙春酒,台北結婚,婚宴場地,結婚,婚宴場地,推車飲茶,港式點心,尾牙春酒,台北結婚,場地,居酒屋,燒烤,美髮,儀器,髮型,美髮,儀器,髮型,美髮,儀器,髮型,美髮,儀器,髮型,小套房,小套房,進修,在職進修,留學,證照,MBA,EMBA,留學,MBA,EMBA,留學,進修,在職進修,牛樟芝,段木,牛樟菇,關鍵字排名,網路行銷,PMP,在職專班,研究所在職專班,碩士在職專班,PMP,證照,在職專班,研究所在職專班,碩士在職專班,SEO,廣告,關鍵字,關鍵字排名,網路行銷,網頁設計,網站設計,網站排名,搜尋引擎,網路廣告,SEO,廣告,關鍵字,關鍵字排名,網路行銷,網頁設計,網站設計,網站排名,搜尋引擎,網路廣告,SEO,廣告,關鍵字,關鍵字排名,網路行銷,網頁設計,網站設計,網站排名,搜尋引擎,網路廣告,SEO,廣告,關鍵字,關鍵字排名,網路行銷,網頁設計,網站設計,網站排名,搜尋引擎,網路廣告,EMBA,MBA,PMP,在職進修,專案管理,出國留學,EMBA,MBA,PMP,在職進修,專案管理,出國留學,EMBA,MBA,PMP,在職進修,專案管理,出國留學,婚宴,婚宴,婚宴,婚宴,漢高資訊,漢高資訊,比利時,比利時聯合商學院,宜蘭民宿,台東民宿,澎湖民宿,墾丁民宿,花蓮民宿,SEO,找工作,汽車旅館,阿里山,日月潭,阿里山民宿,東森購物,momo購物台,pc home購物,購物,手機,手機王,數位像機,衛星導行,GPS,小筆電,機油漢高資訊,漢高資訊,在職進修,漢高資訊,在職進修,住宿,住宿,整形,造型,室內設計,室內設計,漢高資訊,在職進修,漢高資訊,在職進修,住宿,美容,室內設計,在職進修,羅志祥,周杰倫,五月天,住宿,住宿,整形,整形,室內設計,室內設計,比利時聯合商學院,在職進修,比利時聯合商學院,在職進修,漢高資訊,找工作,找工作,找工作,找工作,找工作,蔡依林,林志玲

freefun0616 said...

酒店經紀人,
菲梵酒店經紀,
酒店經紀,
禮服酒店上班,
酒店小姐兼職,
便服酒店經紀,
酒店打工經紀,
制服酒店工作,
專業酒店經紀,
合法酒店經紀,
酒店暑假打工,
酒店寒假打工,
酒店經紀人,
菲梵酒店經紀,
酒店經紀,
禮服酒店上班,
酒店經紀人,
菲梵酒店經紀,
酒店經紀,
禮服酒店上班,
酒店小姐兼職,
便服酒店工作,
酒店打工經紀,
制服酒店經紀,
專業酒店經紀,
合法酒店經紀,
酒店暑假打工,
酒店寒假打工,
酒店經紀人,
菲梵酒店經紀,
酒店經紀,
禮服酒店上班,
酒店小姐兼職,
便服酒店工作,
酒店打工經紀,
制服酒店經紀,
酒店經紀,

,