Saturday, January 24, 2009

Issue #2 Back to Press


The second issue of Oz has sold out at Diamond in the first week and is going back to press for a second printing.  That's 2 in a row.   Not too shabby.  Read more on that below.  First, I've got to put some M F'er's on blast... haha.

I've read a few things on the internets and some people ask why would anyone want to read a Wizard of Oz comic.  Why is it worth it?  It's a funny question to come from a comic book reader.
  
As comic book fans, we read stories about the same characters over and over.  Every few years those stories start over and they re-tell the origin or put someone else in the costume.  This fools us into thinking something has happened or something has changed.  Some of these stories are great, some are just o.k., and some are just page fillers.  Very few of them will be remembered 5, 10, 15 years from now.  I don't think that a kid in 2057 is going to be talking randomly about the days of X-Men's Manifest Destiny, or the lasting impact of the days of Dark Reign.  Now, before anyone gets their panties ruffled, I'm not taking a shot at those books.  Hell, I wrote a story for the Manifest Destiny line.  I'm just using these as 2 examples as their the most fresh in our mind.

But The Wonderful Wizard of Oz is something different.  Not because I'm drawing it.  If I wasn't working on it, I would wish I was and think the same thing.  Most people love the movie, and the movie is loved because it's an adaption of one of the best selling children's books of all time.  The Wonderful Wizard of Oz was published in 1900.  Don't get me wrong, Spiderman is cool and all, but Dorothy has a few years on him... haha.  We tend to throw the world Classic around a lot these days, but Oz is exactly that.  

Why should one read the comic book adaption of The Wonderful Wizard of Oz?  Because it's a faithful visual retelling of a story that created generations of imagination and wonder.  It inspired people thru the years to then craft a movie that would go to inspire even more and introducing those people to the source material.  It's not anything more than it is, a adventurous tale of a 6 year old girl who finds herself in a world unknown to any of us.  

And you know what the best part of all of this is.  I'm getting my inbox, Myspace, and Facebook filled with messages of people who are sharing this with their kids.  Their kids are reading a comic and wanting to read the next one when it comes out.  As some of you may know, that is not an easy task these days.  Hopefully, I can be apart of a few kids reading Oz and sticking around long enough to read our other stories when they get older.  If you don't know why to read it, buy a copy, give it to a kid, and you'll understand.

One of 2008's hottest—and most acclaimed—new series continues into 2009 even hotter than before, as THE WONDERFUL WIZARD OF OZ #2 has sold out at Diamond (though copies may be available at the retail level). THE WONDERFUL WIZARD OF OZ #2 SECOND PRINTING VARIANT, from the Oz dream team of Eric Shanower and Skottie Young continue Dororthy's adventures in this strange new world—and brings her face to face with some new allies!

"Eric Shanower presents Oz as the fable that it's intended to be…the aesthetic appeal of this book is nearly unrivaled in terms of a product perfectly matching its aura with its basic design."—Daniel Crown, IGN.Com

"It really is as beautiful as any of the best illustrated children books you'd find, and tells a story in way that pages that all look like they should be framed should never be able to."—Jan-Ken-Pon, BookSpotCentral.Com

"Shanower and Young just don't do Baum's book justice, they in some ways make it even better. I absolutely adore this adaptation, and give high marks for all involved."-- Greg McElhatton, ComicBookResources.Com

With two quick sell outs and loads of acclaim, Marvel urges retailers to check their orders on upcoming issues of THE WONDERFUL WIZARD OF OZ!

THE WONDERFUL WIZARD OF OZ #2 SECOND PRINTING VARIANT (DEC088039)
Written by ERIC SHANOWER
Pencils & Cover by SKOTTIE YOUNG
All Ages …$3.99
FOC – 2/5/09 ON SALE – 2/25/09

12 comments:

Abby Ryder said...

Lovely work, I think I'll be adding this to my all ages recommended shelf at my shop.

Your artwork has just gotten better and better over the years, you always seem to be pushing your style into new places. Great job dude!

The Optimist said...

I totally agree with you, man. I'm loving Oz. The art is way awesome and I got excited when I learned that it would be you doing the artwork. I'm a huge Spidey fan, but the classics like Oz get forgotten and that's a shame. Keep up the excellent work and congrats on the second printing.

Roland said...

You don't need to justify your OZ work. Anyone who can't see why this is awesome doesn't really get whats great about comics. They are just geeks. There are so many guys who just buy all the issues of all the comics thats not interest or a discerning eye it's just ignorant collecting. Your OZ work is some of the most exciting comic work I've seen for ages

Joe Romano 2 said...

Dead on Skottie. One of the reasons I love Oz isn't just because you are illustrating it. It's because I can read it with my 3 yr old son, and he loves it. Keep it up. Good luck

Fabian said...

Agree! I hope that you also decide to publish it in hard cover, that will also turn this amazing job you guys are doing in a classic.

OH! But never never never do the adaptation of that scary thing, Return to Oz, still having nightmares after seeing that movie.

Dave said...

What?!? Return to Oz was awesome! Fairuza Balk was a great Dorothy. I'd love to see Eric and Skottie stick together and adapt the 2 books that movie was based on, 'The Marvelous Land of Oz', and 'Ozma of Oz'.

Sal! said...

Here's another great review I thought you should read. Keep in mind this is a young child writing it.

http://kidscomicbooks.blogspot.com/2008/12/wonderful-wizard-of-oz-1.html

Amber Love said...

I am thoroughly enjoying this series and it surprises me. I hated the movie! I covered issue #1 in my vlog:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E45rkPa1ciQ

Jon Roscetti said...

That is the best lion's mouth ever

Jimski said...

Are comics fans really dogging this book online? Seriously?

What am I saying? Of course they are. They're comics fans online.

Don't listen to 'em!

When I was 10-11, before I was into comics, the Oz books were my comics. I was obsessed with them, and I LOVE what you guys are doing on this book. I was just thinking tonight as I read #3 how great it would be if you kept going after this and did the rest of Baum's stories, mostly because I don't want this to end after #8.

I've been following your work since Human Torch, but this is a cut above. I can't wait to buy the hardcover and read it to my daughter; she's only 1 right now, but I'd love it if one day she fell in love with Oz (or comics!) just like daddy, and this book is the perfect gateway drug for either. Come what may, thanks for knocking this one out of the park.

Ely'sa Castro said...

precioso! por fin encontré su blog. un saludo

freefun0616 said...

酒店經紀人,
菲梵酒店經紀,
酒店經紀,
禮服酒店上班,
酒店小姐兼職,
便服酒店經紀,
酒店打工經紀,
制服酒店工作,
專業酒店經紀,
合法酒店經紀,
酒店暑假打工,
酒店寒假打工,
酒店經紀人,
菲梵酒店經紀,
酒店經紀,
禮服酒店上班,
酒店經紀人,
菲梵酒店經紀,
酒店經紀,
禮服酒店上班,
酒店小姐兼職,
便服酒店工作,
酒店打工經紀,
制服酒店經紀,
專業酒店經紀,
合法酒店經紀,
酒店暑假打工,
酒店寒假打工,
酒店經紀人,
菲梵酒店經紀,
酒店經紀,
禮服酒店上班,
酒店小姐兼職,
便服酒店工作,
酒店打工經紀,
制服酒店經紀,
酒店經紀,

,