Sunday, August 09, 2009

Chicago Comicon 2009 Report

Ok, so all the blah blah blah about Wizard Chicago Comicon not being about comics anymore because they didn't have the 12 highest selling creators on the roster, or no long list of panels that force people to spend the majority of the prime hours waiting in line to sit in a room and hear things that they could read about in 10 minutes after the show... is dead wrong in my opinion. This years show was INCREDIBLE for me and it was because there were hundreds of comic fans showing their love for artist alley and all the creators that were there.

The lack of what people have come to expect from cons seemed to have kept people out on the floor and checking out what Artist Alley had to offer. I've never seen the aisles of the Alley so packed. And i personally have never signed as many comic books as I did this weekend. The love for OZ was beyond what I could have ever expected and I am grateful to each and every person that came by and showed there support.

I had the chance to talk with a ton of fans and a few of them really were quite touching. A father bought the original cover to Wonderful Wizard of Oz #8 (with Dorothy running thru the field on her way back home.) to give to his daughter when she goes away to college so that she knows that she can always come home. If that wasn't enough to pull on the old heart strings, an artist told me that while battling cancer going thru kimo, reading my blog lifted up his spirits and got him back to his art. Come on, tell me you wouldn't just break down right there. These were just two examples of how my incredible fans made me feel so good about creating art and that it means more than just a few lines on paper. I am truly grateful to each of you.

i'd also like to send a big thanks to Jesse Labbe and Anthony Coffey for the sketches, art and the BEAUTIFUL book BERONA'S HUNDRED YEAR WAR (i can't seem to find a link to an official site for the book).

Seriously, I had a great time this weekend and it was great to hang with everyone again! I'm glad to be back home with my ladies!

See you at the next show.

11 comments:

CrowleyArt said...

It was really good seeing you man!

Shaun said...

Its really awesome to hear that your art has such a positive impact on peoples lives, you should be proud of yourself man.

TheBurke said...

I just wanted to thank you for taking the time to squeeze in a Spidey sketch for me late Saturday, since I wasn't able to make it back on Sunday! It really was my favorite thing I picked up this weekend and made the convention for me. Its such a unique and cool eye catching piece. I can wait to get it framed so I can put it on my wall. Thanks again, love your stuff!

Von DEWS! said...

Man, each day I become your fan more and more!
i'm from Brazil, but I wish meet you one day!

I love your stuff!

Joe Romano 2 said...

Wish I could have been there. I would love to meet you in persona and say thank you for being such an inspiration to me.
Keep up the great work I wish you nothing but the best.

Fabian said...

I want own some original art from you!! Thats so cool about the father that bought the issue 8 cover for her daughter! Great story! Thanks for sharing!

Chris Sims said...

It was awesome seeing you at the con and getting the baby x-men print. I wanted to chat more but like you said Artist Alley was crazy and I had to get eck to my table.

Andy Jewett said...

It was great seeing you at the show... wish I could have chatted you up more but I barely got out from behind the table all weekend (good problem as you've said)... And I generally don't crash circles in the bar.

I'll always have a place in my heart for this show no matter what because it was my first. I had a great time and got to hang out with alot of great creators that I respect.

See you in a month at Windy-City.

Blake Sauner said...

Anyone got a link for that Hundred Years War book? My meager searching during work is proving...futile.

And so this isn't a hijack'd little comment...

Skottie, great to hear about the packed alley with fans and bodies, having never attended a convention (something I plan on eventually doing when all my comic book idols are dead and I don't know anyone who'll be there at all, you know, for kicks) it sounds like that's the kind of atmosphere I'd enjoy walking into...

Jay said...

Hundred Year war book -> www.amityink.com

freefun0616 said...

酒店經紀人,
菲梵酒店經紀,
酒店經紀,
禮服酒店上班,
酒店小姐兼職,
便服酒店經紀,
酒店打工經紀,
制服酒店工作,
專業酒店經紀,
合法酒店經紀,
酒店暑假打工,
酒店寒假打工,
酒店經紀人,
菲梵酒店經紀,
酒店經紀,
禮服酒店上班,
酒店經紀人,
菲梵酒店經紀,
酒店經紀,
禮服酒店上班,
酒店小姐兼職,
便服酒店工作,
酒店打工經紀,
制服酒店經紀,
專業酒店經紀,
合法酒店經紀,
酒店暑假打工,
酒店寒假打工,
酒店經紀人,
菲梵酒店經紀,
酒店經紀,
禮服酒店上班,
酒店小姐兼職,
便服酒店工作,
酒店打工經紀,
制服酒店經紀,
酒店經紀,

,