Wednesday, November 04, 2009

The Abominable Charles Christopher Guest Strip


Karl Kerschl is an AMAZING artist and has been a friend of mine for many years. Anytime we get the chance to chat for a bit it ends up being a lovefest for art and pushing ourselves further. Karl started his webcomic THE ABOMINABLE CHARLES CHRISTOPHER a few years ago and it's so beautifully illustrated with funny and touching stories that I'm quite jealous of the man. He has inspired me to utilized the web to bring some of my stories to life...but we'll get to that later. Back to Charles.

Karl reached out and asked me to do a guest strip for his webcomic while he was out on some giant world tour where people are worshiping him and what not. I was flattered and agreed instantly. Then I realized that his wasn't the first time I would be there to help save Karl in a rough spot. (just kidding, he needed no saving, and i'm convinced he actually had enough strips to cover his time away and just posted my out of pitty...haha) Eons ago, when I was waiting tables at Ed Debevics in Chicago, I got my first phone call from Marvel asking me if I could do a fill in issue in the ICEMAN mini series. And artist named... you guessed it, Karl Kerschl had some life things going on and they needed someone to fill in. I had never drawn a comic book in my life and was about to do my first for Marvel. And the rest is history...or still happening, or something like that.

So, in many ways, I feel that this is me coming full circle and getting the chance to be apart of comics with Karl again. I'm very grateful he asked me to do this, and I had a blast putting it together.

This was the first time i've written, handled all the art from layouts to colors, and lettered a project. It helped me a great deal and you'll be seeing what i've learned here in the near future.

Thanks Karl!

14 comments:

Crowley said...

Nicely done!
It's funny, I work a block west of Ed's.

RAWLS said...

haha... 'people worshiping him and whatnot'!! Nice to see your history with Karl. He and I have known of each other for a while but only recently met in person at the last Toronto Comic con. Great fella.
Also... great work to you my friend. Hilarious take on Charles!

joverine said...

haha Karl rocks
I would always get jealous of his art when he'd come by the house during the college years. He was already doing pro work at such a young age and inspired us to keep working through those Sheridan all nighters...bleh
Your Abominable ROCKS dude! the colours! the story! your style obv...hahaa
yes it must have been a special night indeed :P

cheers!
joe
http://joevriens.blogspot.com/

Fabian said...

Great work for Karl, Skottie!! Looks fantastic! :)

Tom said...

Great work on the strip, Skottie. I'm diggin' everything about it from art to writing. I want to see a regular web comic from you!

costak said...

Awesome strip, Skottie! I'm totally hooked on this webcomic now, and that's a great full-circle story!

Patricio OLiver said...

aahahha this is amazing and yeah a webcomic by you would be incredible! what type of characters would you like to create for it? cheers

andres alvez said...

Fantastic, your work is amaizing!!
Saludos de Argentina

Ken said...

Very cool! I left a more detailed comment under the strip on KK's site. P.S: Iceman has always been one of my three favorite X-Men (Cyclops and Cannonball are the others), and I have that mini.

messytimbo said...

hahaha this is cool, love the style

Adriano said...

hey go to this brazilian blog very awesome


http://punyparker.blogspot.com/

Dan Lee said...

this is brilliant, i love it and it's also introduced me to a great new web comic. Didn't Karl work on the Human Torch series too? I'll have to dig out my issues of it to check!

great stuff

dan

Andy Jewett said...

well done, my friend.

Jon Rob said...

I was a bit disappointed when I realised this was a strip of The Abominable Charles by Christopher Guest.