Sunday, February 14, 2010

junk ONE


My art journey has been interesting this year. I wanted to give Print On Demand (P.O.D.) a try and see how that system worked and if it would meet the standards that I have for the books I want to produce for you. While I was satisfied with the quality, the production cost of a color book was too high to make the price affordable for everyone. There are about 130 copies of the LuLu edition of JUNK (we'll call that JUNK BETA) out there and that's all there will be.

I have decided to go back to the same printer that I worked with on B-SIDES and officially start my new series of art books. I'll be keeping the name JUNK for the entire series and running them in volume numbers. JUNK ONE, JUNK TWO, etc.

With JUNK I'll be trying something new. Unlike my previous sketchbooks, this will be 100% original material. No Spider-Man covers, No Batman commissions, No X-Men character designs. I want to start the tradition of providing you with art books that contain work that you can't see anywhere else outside of my books or site. You will get the chance to see my sketches, doodles, paintings, scribbles, experiments, successes and failures. It will be a wide range of the artwork I produce outside of my comic book pages and covers.

JUNK ONE will be 100 page of full color and black & white images. 8.5x11, softcover with a beautiful Spot Varnish treatment applied to the cover seen above. The price will be $30 (a giant leap down from the $100) and each copy ordered online will be signed.

If you were one of the few people that picked up JUNK Beta then there's a surprise. Over 60 pages are brand new images not see in the previous P.O.D. version.

I am very proud of this book and can't wait to get them in my studio to start shipping out. When I get a bit closer to the ship date, I will open things up for pre-orders. Thank you all for your support and enthusiasm over the years. Hopefully you'll enjoy the book as much as I did making it!

13 comments:

Oskar Iglesias said...

Great work

Jordi said...

I own Junk Beta, and I'll buy junk vol 1 so I hope there is not so much material repeated, will you show us a preview?

Skottie Young said...

Thanks

Jordi-40 pages are taken from JUNK. 60 pages are brand new.

John 'Roc' Upchurch said...

Sounds fantastic man. Having never before seen art, and only personal stuff is like a treasure chest to fans and collectors. glad to hear you found a system that works too. lookin foward to the book.

the risk said...

the cover looks great! glad to hear the book will be 100% original art, my favorite stuff of yours has been the Adventures of Bernard the World Destroyer.

Phil Rood said...

Looking forward to the new book Skottie. I really appreciate the way you work to make your work accessible to your fans by making your book more affordable. I'm looking forward to placing an order soon

Joe Romano 2 said...

Count me in for a copy. I have "JUNK Beta" and love it. So 60 new pages is definetly worth the 30 bucks. Can't wait to check it out.

Good luck!

Fabian said...

That is some great news!! Cant wait for these new projects, man!!

Sckraps said...

I wasn't quick enough to pull the trigger on junk/cheap junk, so I'm totally ALL OVER this one.

Even though I love how you render the Marvel Universe....

All your art is killer, I think my eyelid is now twitching in anticipation.

richard said...

I agree. I love your style, line work and the apparent freedom with which you work. That being said it would be great to throw a "Special Junk" or "Junk:Confidential" out there with character design stuff. I like seeing the process of an artist coming up with his own take on characters. The process you used to create characters like Bernard would be cool. I find it helpful. It's just an idea for down the road.

Marcus said...

I'm all over this. Sadly, I missed Junk beta as well... I'm definitely not going to miss this.

What's the estimated release date for Junk 1?

Thanks!!!

CAPTAIN PANDA said...

I am one of the 130: It didn't seem like too expensive but I agree that u have to reach as many readers as possible:
I am looking forward to buy this new book: price is very Cool!!!!!

John Bivens said...

Can't wait to pick up a copy. Very cool!