Wednesday, July 28, 2010

And The Winner Is....

That's right! We came home with 2 Eisner Awards for our book The Wonderful Wizard of Oz.  I couldn't be happier and more proud of the work everyone did on the book.

I'd like to thank specifically Dan Buckley and Dave Gabriel for being the two guys that pushed me to take the job. I was nervous about leaving an X-men book and doing an all ages/children's book even though that is where my artistic heart lives most of the time.  I just was scared that no body would pay attention and I would get lost in the back corners of your local shops.  I couldn't have been more and these two gentlemen were smart enough to see otherwise.

Furthermore, I'd like to thank everyone up at Marvel for allowing Eric and I go run off to our corner and do whatever we thought the project needed.  No one ever messed with us, changed anything, or tried to steer the ship in their own direction.  I've never felt more free as an artist and it's a credit to our Marvel team for giving us that space to create. You all are awesome.  Nate Cosby, especially you for being our voice up at the office. You're always there to make sure we have what we need, when we need it, and a break when that's needed to. I love you crazy ass.

Jean-Francois Beaulieu, you are one of the most important parts of your puzzle. You take my work and make it more than I could on my own. You preform magic with your colors and take us too another world. I am glad to call you my partner and here is to another million years of creating fun art together. Thank you for working with me for so many years.

Eric, your love of the project and the world of Baum's Oz is the foundation of this thing. It gives me the confidence to step outside the box because I know you're always there with the connection to the material that we need.  Together we strike an amazing balance and I look forward to many more!

Last, thank you to all the fans for supporting us out there in the stores.  You're buying the books, reading the books, and telling people about the books.  I can't thank you enough.  Without you we would have never made it this far, let alone won 2 Eisner awards. So, thank you for your support over the last few years.

I'll be back to posting Video Journals later in the week, right now I still have no voice left after SDCC.  Thanks, and I'll see you all later.

18 comments:

Mr. Hawthorne said...

You deserve it, man! Great job, and congrats again :)

Mike

Fabian said...

CONGRATULATIONS, SKOTTIE!! Well deserved!!

James Figueiredo said...

Hi, Skottie - I've been a fan of your work for years, and I LOVE your work on the Oz series with Eric Shanower. I was a bit disappointed when you left New X-Men, cause I thought your work suited the book perfectly, but I'm so glad it led you to the Oz books adaptations!

Those Eisners are totally deserved, and I'm sure they are but the first!

Best,
J.

scott said...

Nice!
T'was an amazing book rightfully acknowledged!
Enjoy, sir!

Ken said...

Congratulations, sir! I gave copies of the hardcover as gifts to two of my nieces, and they can't wait to get the next one for Christmas (I hope it's collected in time)...

Darrell said...

that is rad. Congrats.

Darrell

William said...

I was following the status updates on Twitter and couldn't have been more happy for you guys. Congrats! Ten years of hard work, keep it up!

Grand Kenery said...

Congratulations!!!!!!!! Thank u 4 inspiring me and so many others.

Rock on,
G.Kenery.

Feenomite said...

You should wear one around your neck Flava Flav style.

Bennessy said...

congrats

Bennessy said...

You'll hafta change ur bio now to 'Eisner award winning'

Brax Harrison said...

KICK ARSE! I think that is the first time I've ever seen what they look like. Congratulations!

Amblagar Studio said...

hey Skottie, your style really looks influenced by Carlos Meglia...
Carlos was my art teacher here in argentina... did you know him?
best regards
santiago lozano

João Edno said...

Congrats boy!!! uhhhhuuu

wilson said...

CONGRATS U ROCK! REGARDS FROM BRAZIL!

Kurt Wood said...

Absolutely fantastic! Congrats!

Darnel said...

Congratulations! I enjoyed the book and now I'm even happier I bought it, LOL.

krapula said...

YEEE! So happy for you! I have the book in my hand right now (and it's not so obvious as I'm in Italy, but I also have a wonderful,as Oz, boyfriend that makes me very special birthday gifts)and I'm enchanted. It's an awesome job. You're a great artist!!