Tuesday, November 09, 2010

The Boombox Cometh


Time to drop in for an update on the things going on around my way.

First up, my graphic novel is going well but had to be put on a pause for a bit.  I had an opportunity come up that I just couldn't pass on. Don't worry, the graphic novel is under way and will get done, and this new thing is also an original project of my own.

Second, OZMA of OZ #1 is in stores now and you'll be seeing installments of that each and every month like clockwork thru out the year. WONDERFUL WIZARD OF OZ is available as a Hardcover, Softcover, and now Digitally via the Marvel App.  MARVELOUS LAND OF OZ is available in Hardcover.

Thanks to everyone for supporting JUNK ONE.  The sales on them have been amazing and I couldn't be happier. I had planned on putting out a new volume of that each year but will need a bit more time to collect the amount of art that it took to publish that on. So, the large 100pg art books may have to be every other year or so.  This will give me time to have enough art to warrant the big, nice package that was JUNK ONE.  But...

Don't worry. I've been filling up sketchbooks with pen drawigns at a crazy pace and have a new plan. There may be a larger gap between large art books but I'm going to fill it with smaller volumes of sketchbooks titled BOOMBOX. The books will be smaller, 48 page hardcovers collecting images directly from my sketchbooks and keeping things very raw and natural. The best thing is I'll be able to keep the prices nice and low. They'll be starting at $20. The first volume is ready and I'm just waiting of a few more things from the printer.  If sales on BOOMBOX 1 are good and fast enough, I'll be able to put BOOMBOX 2 very soon after. I would love to be able to put out 2 of these volumes a year.

So, there's an update. Thanks again for all the love over the years. You all are amazing.

17 comments:

d said...

I love the idea (& the name), but for whatever reason I just like softcovers. Any chance on having a softcover option?

Really enjoying your OZ run, and I can't wait to see your OGN.

Skottie Young said...

D- Honestly, the hardcover isn't that much more to produce and it actually saves me (and then you) money on shipping supplies. The softcovers need much more protection to ship at the lower rates, or it has to ship in higher prices boxes. It also takes much less time to put the envelopes together, giving more time to create the art.

Hardcovers give me more shipping options and let me pass long the cheaper prices.

And while some some prefer Soft, most prefer Hardcovers. I wish I could make everyone happy but I try to find a middle ground.

Thanks for the support and feedback!

d said...

Thanks for explaining it. That makes sense. I'm not against hardcover I just find that I try to preserve them more, and tend to actually read and reread my softcovers. So in general I enjoy them more. It's the damn collector in my.

Oh, thanks for the Berona's War suggestion. Great read.

Jake Plissken said...

20 dollars? that's something i'd buy! easy as skipping two lunches.

Tanoshiboy said...

Looking forward to it. Love the pen sketches.

criz said...

looking forward to them! ^_^

is there already a plan about how far those Boomboxes will be apart? I'd rather wait and buy two at a time to save on shipping costs (international gets expensive fast -_-)

Oskar Iglesias said...

Good news.
More and more I like your style.

Janderson said...

Nice! Love sketchbooks.
I agree with Criz´s comment.
Cheers
Jands
www.jands.biz

Joe Romano 2 said...

Good luck on the up coming projects Skottie, can't wait for the graphic novel. Count me in for a copy of Boombox to add the growing Skottie Young collection.

Spawn of the Ed said...

Ment to buy JunkOne. Def want to pick up BoomBox when it comes out. you have such a raw and awesome style that always inspires me.

scott said...

Oh yeah, breaking out the FB Pitts...
Awesome, Skottie!

scott said...

Whoops- I meant "the FC Pitts"...:-)
I would love to see more of them!

Skottie Young said...

Scott- Yeah, I usually sketch with only these. I haven't really used a pencil in the last few years. I love these pens.

Wayne B. Medina said...

Really nice sketch man!

damon said...

cool!

Stathis Petropoulos said...

Hey guy! Lovely stuff! I was wondering how you balance baby time and work time. I got a 13month boy and its a handful...

Dave West said...

Hi Skottie, will you send your books over to the UK ? Obvioulsy I'll pay the extra postage required ... here's hoping ...