Sunday, November 21, 2010

Hello There


I doodle a lot. I either in my sketchbook while watching tv or on my cintiq after I've finished my work for the day and just need to get a something out of my head that doesn't have to do with a script or work.  Usually I just play with shapes and character.

Today, this little guy came out. He didn't mean anything while I was drawing him but when I was finished, I grew to see him as the a hero in a grand adventure.  Most heroes in our stories and fairy tales often look the same. Cute as a button little girls, or the thin, rugged young kid. Sure, they throw glasses on sometimes to tell us he's nerdy but we can usually see thru that. Something about this little guy speaks to me for being outside the hero mold.  Who knows, we'll see if he can find a place in a story some day.

To finish him off, I thought I'd throw a nod of my buddy and great artist, Jim Mahfood "Food One".

Now that I've finished posting this, I'm starting to see similarities to Russell from the movie UP. I love that movie and I'm sure parts of him are lingering in my head. I'll have to work him up a bit and see if we can create a bigger gap between them.

14 comments:

joshart said...

This is EXACTLY how I see myself. Thank you for making my day :)

Fabian said...

LOve it Skottie!! Hope you find a great adventure for him, i am sure we will follow him!! :)

Joe Romano 2 said...

Skottie, this is the kind of stuff that gets me pumped for your not yet titled Graphic Novel. Love the way you visualize stuff and add such depth to a simple character. Great stuff Man.

Tanoshiboy said...

Looks promising.

jluebbert said...

Another great sketch Skottie!

Scott C. Gwynn said...

Weather he resembles Russel or not, he's still a really appealing character. Can't wait to see how he evolves.

John said...

I instantly love this kid. You're absolutely right, he's not the standard hero, and that's exactly why the world needs him. Bring it!

Mattia Genini said...

yesh he needs something to make him more different from Russell, because i thought of him too (also before reading the post). Maybe also a different color of the pullover and of the hair, they're the same of Russell. Apart those little changes he's a cool character, he looks important =)

Jake Page Illustration said...

Ah, don't ya hate that? When you draw something or someone that you love the way they look and then it seems like it hits a little too close to what somebody's already done.. Hard to get that out of your head afterwards.

But he's a great little character - I don't think it would be too hard to distance him from Russell. Love the head for realz.

Derek Johnson said...

A leading man if I've ever seen one. It might be a simple sketch, but there is a lot of character in there as well. Really great.

c.g.young said...

Wow!, Inspiration abound!
Love everything about your art!
leaving inspired.

Skottie Young said...

Thanks everyone.

C.G., Great work yourself. Very fun paintings.

erik said...

When I first read your words "hero in a grand adventure" I instantly thought of young Frodo. Unassuming, kind, and young (for a hobbit) and thrust into an epic tale. Since he's the first to emerge from your brainpan maybe you should keep him. Maybe he's not such a short husky boy as we are all so quick to think. Maybe he is something more and only you will be able to reveal him to us.

Comic said...

Epic list! I would love to share this list with the Comic Booked fans! Would be totally stoked to feature you and your work, interview as well. Great job thanks for all that you do!