Monday, January 31, 2011

Buy a Book To Begin the Week: I KILL GIANTS


I KILL GIANTS written by Joe Kelly and illustrated by J.M. Ken Nimura is one of my favorite books of the last few years. Before I say too much, I'll post the books description from Joe.

It's a story about a girl who’s a bit of an outsider – she's smart-assed and funny, but totally in our geekland: she's obsessed with Dungeons & Dragons, she doesn't have a lot of friends, she’s a bit of a social misfit. She's taken her fantasy life a little far, and really only talks about giants to people. She's convinced that giants are real and giants are coming, and it's her responsibility to stop them when they show up. This weird little fantasy life that she's going has started seeping into her real life, and as we see things from her point of view, we see that she sees pixies and she sees signs in the clouds and other things that might be telling her that bad things might be coming.

This book moved me emotionally in a big way. Joe weaves together a personal story with the fantasies of a child and Nimura's quick, raw lines carry thru the story swiftly so as not to lose momentum.  The art is Black and white with a gray tones and I couldn't imagine it any other way. It fits the tone of the story so well and his design choices are just perfect.

I've encountered books that attempt to tell me a personal tale before, but most times they're too personal and build a wall around themselves to the point where I can get in. IKG doesn't suffer from this at all. It grabs you right away and drops you off again when it's done.






11 comments:

Simon Mac Donald said...

You are so right, this is one of the best books I've read in years. Everyone should be reading this book. Someday I'm going to get a signed copy from Joe Kelly at a con.

Michael Moreci said...

Love this book--very cool coming of age story, touching and well told.

Walter Ostlie said...

My favorite. So good, I made my girlfriend read it.

Nickname unavailable said...

Definitely planning on picking this one up. I love that you are doing this series of blog posts on cool books to read, Skottie. Not only do we get a little more insight on you and your tastes, but we're also getting introduced to creator-owned comics that might otherwise get missed.

Simon said...

I remember forcing one of my friends to read this book and he wined about that he didn't have the time. He took a week to read the first chapter but after that he returned in 2 days saying that he read it all trough in one evening.

Joe Kelly is really talented, but that don't excuse him for delaying/cancel the 4:th issue of his comic "Bad Dog"

Chimeric said...

Sounds fantastic, I'm sold. I love your work and the story sounds like something that could turn out to me one of my favorites. Just ordered it on amazon as soon as I read your description. Keep up the great work! What can I use besides white out? Is their white India ink somewhere or preferably a white ink marker like the brush tips from PITT artist pens?

Jason P. Crayton said...

I like Joe's book description & I like your description about the art work & on what a personal tale should be.
So I'll be picking this one up.

If you ever have a any free time anytime soon, & you may if you happen to be in IL right now. Snow storm anyone? I'm from WI so I can say that. Check out this PDF link to a comic called 'Grade 5.' Its a personal tale about all the things you could've done in grade school, but shouldn't have done. Link is here, hope you enjoy, its a quick read.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/18858426/Grade_5_001.pdf.zip

Justin Rodrigues said...

This is probably in my top ten of all time. I love this book!

Amber Love said...

I KILL GIANTS is my favorite GN. It spoke to me on different levels from the feeling of being a weird kid to the very adult matters of the health & well-being of everyone you love. It's brilliant!

The Dan said...

I picked this up at a convention after speaking with Joe Kelly based purely on how nice of a guy he was. I was not let down, the book is simply amazing and I've recommended it to a lot of people, both friends that are comic fans and many that aren't.

Will Strong said...

I grabbed this book based solely on its cover and I was blown away at how much I liked it. One of my favorite reads of the last year. I loaned it to everybody I know that reads comics.