Monday, February 14, 2011

Buy a Book to Begin the Week: EARTHBOY JACOBUS


So, now that you've cried after reading I Kill Giants and looked at the kid in your with the Flight series, let's go with an all ages action/adventure book.

EARTHBOY JACOBUS by Doug TenNapel.

First, you've probably notice that I mention Doug a lot. From his story in Flight, his Scholastic Graphic Novel GHOSTOPOLIS and his new web comic RATFIST, I'm starting to sound like his hype man. What ev's!! I love Doug's work. He sling ink around with a brush showing us exactly what a cartoonist can do. He adds just enough to give us all the info we need without noodling a page to death. This gives his stories a pace and energy that you don't see in many comics. He has like 12 or more graphic novels out there and there's no stopping him in the future.  How can I not support a guy like this?

EARTHBOY JACOBUS is one of my favorites of his. The story of a boy from an alternate universe is found by an aging man and learns to be a part of this world. But as the boy grows older forces from his native world show up in our plane to take him back. It's a fun sci-fi, father and son tale.

If you dig this, try some of Doug's other work.

7 comments:

Michael Dooney said...

Doug is one of the few genuine 'graphic novelist' out there. Each project is different than the last. Creature Teck is still my personal fave. When I read that, I thought, action, aliens, romance....instant movie! I guess it is being developed as we speak.

Joey Majdali said...

I wholeheartedly agree! TenNapel is my favorite! You have good taste, Mr. Young.

Will Strong said...

Amen. TenNapel is one of the most unique voices in comics working today. Earthboy Jacobus is epic. I also recommend Tommysaurus Rex (made me cry.)

KMB said...

TenNapel is great. Earthboy Jacobus is definitely my favorite.

Martin John said...

Weird, I just read his creature tech and blogged about Doug myself. Amazing shit! Pick up anything by this man and do it quickly.

Jeff said...

I like his Creature Tech the best by far. Earthboy Jacobus isn't bad, but man, I remember reading Creature Tech and thinking, "Wow, this is perfect."

Towbson said...

you should read "three shadows" from cyril pedrosa...it will make you cry at the end.