Saturday, February 26, 2011

What's Out There?


I've been looking to push myself into drawing more from the gut, leaving all purpose behind. Working on my project has me looking for ways to approach the art style that doesn't feel like your normal comic but still fits in a sequential world. 

I've been inking OZ and the rest of my work with a brush for the last 4 years. It's a blast and I love how it looks and feels. But the story I'm telling needs a bit more emotion in the lines. I've been studying a lot of artists who just go crazy with dead lines and use a pen or pencil in a more manic way. I feel that there is something bold about an artist that trusts the idea to rise above a technique or tool. There's something exciting about the scattered feeling of just scribbling and not fearing that there will be "mistakes." It's fun to draw and fun to look at.

For some reason I was really moved while drawing this today. I drew in my traditional puffy, cartoon like clouds that you've seen from me over the years. But got rid of them and decided to go with new shape. I just drew a big oval. I had been reading Shaun Tan books so I'm sure he was creeping in there but something about the simplistic shape just shook me. I was thrilled. It was strange and didn't look like a cloud. But it is. It's a cloud. I love it!!! 

Ok, so I'm feeling very inspired today and you get a big mushy, artsy post out of it. (Don't worry, I'm listening to a Star Trek podcast so I haven't sent off the flowery deep end :)

10 comments:

Heron Prado said...

I know that people being polite with you it's really a part of an artist job, at least a good one like you, but I will break this and say just what I felt when saw this:

THANK GOD You're getting this feeling, I loved your work but after years following you and seeing your work for that long I was like... getting a bit sick of its hm "commercialness"? try more, experiment more and live long :>

Darren Ward said...

Fantastic work Skottie. Love the clouds. They are brilliant. Keep it up.

Will Strong said...

Thanks for those thoughts Scottie. Makes me think I really need to push my drawings further too.

Charles Santoso said...

Look forward what you'll come up next, man. :D awesome as usual.

-Charles

ConB said...

Yes i get the same feeling and all the most lately because i've been holding back on my drawing using only the ways i self taught myself and forgeting to experimrent which actuaally helped me reach the level i am now at drawing and expressing my inner thoughts and emotions through it
Thanx Scottie for reminding me by shareing your thoughts!!!

Daniel said...

Cool story. What's funny is I looked at this last night and read a couple of paragraphs, and those didn't cross my mind as being anything other than clouds. This morning, I read the rest of your post and looked at the picture again. It wasn't until I read about your arrival to the idea that they started to look like... Well, big white ovals in the sky.

Funny how the mind works. Keep on doing your thing, man.

Mike Bear said...

Hell yes. Hell.... yes.

Shane Smith said...

It's great to see an original approach to such well established cartooning conventions.

And any Shaun Tan influence can only be a good thing, I definitely see some 'Lost Thing' in there!

mcfly said...

It reminded me a lot of Moebius, my favorite artist ever, like the shading in the clouds and the weirdness of it. LOVE IT!

Connie Harper said...

I like that they're kinda suggestive of thought bubbles :)