Sunday, August 14, 2011

Finding The End Part 2: Happy Accidents


Here's a little on how I found my story.

As I mentioned in the last post, I'd been brainstorming story ideas since I put my last OGN on pause. I needed to make sure I really hit on the content and story I wanted to tell. The frustrating thing was I would love an idea for a two days and then somehow I would convince myself that the idea was done. Simply being that excited about it would bring it to life and play the story out in my head saving me the trouble of having to actually make this pesky thing. I'd just talk about it for a few days and that would be all I needed. Except I still had this burning desire to create a graphic novel. After running through four or five ideas I found myself back at square one. No progress had been made. Sure I had a lot of material to mold at some point but they weren't connecting with me now.

I didn't have time to stress about it because SDCC was looming off in the distance. Getting ready for that is harder than most jobs so I doubled up on work and got things ahead so I could hit San Diego with a running start. The weather was great, the fans were AWESOME and over at TR!CKSTER, Scott Morse, Scott Campbell and myself got ready for our first Symposium (art workshop). Forty plus people in a room watching Skottie, Scott and Scott paint was fantastic. The thing that worked out best for me was the way we came about our subject. The room called out words and we combined them and start drawing and painting. Apocalypse and Bunny. These two words led me to the pages I'm working on now.

I met up with Jason Howard after the show and showed him the painting. I hadn't thought much of it. Just another random piece for fun. Jason said "You should do that as a book. Apocalypse Bunny." I thought about it for a second and agreed. It was on!!! Once we were back from SDCC I would jump online with my Skype Crew of Jake Parker, Ryan Stegman and Jason Howard and they all offered up advice on different aspects. Story ideas, business plans, publishing options, etc. I was getting hype. Now I need to start it.


I drew character designs, ideas for logos, and a rock solid idea for a symbol that would be a sick t-shirt. FALLOUT BUNNY was born. I grabbed the laptop and started plotting out scenes that I had in my head. They were fun, funny and filled with a bunny killing fools. It was happening, I was doing it. After writing a 4 scenes I hit a bump. The scenes were good but they didn't really help tell a story. They were more like gags stuck together, which is fine but not for what i wanted to do. I realized that the goal of my character was a bit of a gag and so all actions on the way to that goal would be gags. So I started to modify the goal. What does Bunny want? And as I thought about it the goal changed from a gag to something much more personal, something that I myself had been thru. This was an interesting turn.

Whenever things like this happen, I pull out my sketchbook and try to scribble my way to the answer. So many choices of mine have been made out of happy accidents drawn in a sketchbook. I drew another version of the bunny. this time with a gas mask on. I drew him a few times and then hit on one that looked haunting. It was ALMOST there. Just one thing needed to be fixed.


I pulled out a white out pen and erased the bunny ears.


Now it was a boy. A young boy in a mask. Whats he hiding? Why is he hurting? These questions started forming and the answers were coming from my life and the places that I've been. It's not about me but it will be have A LOT of me in there. And who knows, when it's all done, it might feel EXACTLY like me. We'll see. I just love that a art workshop brought me to a action/comedy bunny book and that led me to a boys journey thru a post apocalyptic world that will touch on things from my life. Happy accidents.

Next I'll dive into my process and how I'm changing it up on this book compared to my previous attempts.

p.s.- the bunny book will happen one day!


20 comments:

logan said...

thats a cool idea for a book and i love the color sketch that should the cover.

Jon said...

I'm so excited for this dude, can't wait to follow you on the journey!! It's very exciting and inspiring to watch the magic unfold.

Adam Stolterman said...

So awesome!

sethhoward said...

Awesome ideas! I'm loving seeing your progress! I'd love to see how you go about writing the script. Keep up the great work!

TJ said...

I'm not sure which I'm more excited about the OGN or the next installment of your process. Either way...can't wait. Awesome stuff!

Dylanio21 said...

Haha, I have the same issue all the time, good luck!

Wesley Warren said...

I was at that Trickster symposium - which was exhilarating and brilliant - and I'm really pumped to see that the creative process put on display at Trickster really does work! I've been a huge fan of your work for a long time and I'm so excited to follow along on your process of creation. Thank you so much for documenting it and staying true to your craft.

Veronica said...

all the best Scotts in one room - yay

I totally hear you on keeping the momentum while working on projects. I love my clients but I keep looking at my half done pages itching to get back to work!

Maybe we should start an abbey for artists to be sequestered and work hermetically!!

Joe Romano 2 said...

Skottie this awesome. Thanks for letting us in on your creative process! Count me in for a copy when ever it is done! Love to see the bunny come to life too. Freaking awesome !

Alex Deligiannis said...

I was at that symposium and dug it; excited to see where you take this.

Ben said...

I love seeing other people's creative process. Really cool to hear about the path you took to get to your final design.

DaveTheSodaGuy said...

I like him with the ears more

Richard said...

I really love to see your creative process at work. I have a suggestion for how to handle the creative ideas petering out problem. Have you considered doing an OGN filled with short stories based on the same character? Each short story could be six to ten pages. That way as your creative ADHD runs wild you can roll with the punches, and tell the story of FalloutBoy from different angles.

In His Peace,
Richard

James said...

Great post Skottie. Thanks for sharing. Can't wait to see where this goes and what comes out on the other side.

Mike Boldt said...

Really great to be able to see the progression of ideas from one to another ending with something very different.
Can't wait to see the "final".

j_ay said...

Cool story. Although i dig the Bunny idea and look MUCH better.

vor said...

pretty kewl. The pic of the boy, in a mask in a post-apocalyptic setting reminds me of the anime "Desert Punk". You should probably check it out for inspiration.

Ristorante Towbson said...

this is better than any "how to create a graphic novel" book.
thx for sharing that with us.

eloifarr said...

These are the accidents I like, awesome work! Sometimes though, all you can do is get the best car accident lawyer los angeles to represent you in court.

John Phillips said...

Great piece of work on accidents . Hope that you will go ahead to create creative and outstanding post like that.
car hire