Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Finding The End Part 4: Bring It On Back

I have hit a slow pocket over the last four days. My writing as I draw it process is proving to be a bit of a hurdle. When I began down this path I had a specific scene in mind so the momentum was strong. I hit the ground running with what was in my head so the layouts were coming along quickly. Once that scene was put together I found myself staring blankly at the screen of my Cintiq trying to decide what would come next. I have the ending and I know how I want to get there but with out a bit of a road map I'm starting to loose my sense of direction.

Tonight was the fourth night in a row of me not actually producing any page layouts so it was time to switch it up. I'm going pull the laptop back out and start writing to find my way again. I'm going to give myself a very loose outline, index card style and then break down a few scenes into plot and dialog. We'll see if this helps me get back on track.

I'm going to give myself two weeks to have this stage done. If I get done earlier than that fine, but I'm going to really push myself to hit this mark. Since I have the major beats in my head I don't think this is that big of a challenge, but we'll see in two weeks. 

Next time I'll talk a little more about the actual story and Boy, my main character.

6 comments:

Bill said...

I think it's great that you're letting us see both sides of the process: the "going like gangbusters" part and the "uhhhhhhh" part. :-)

If somebody decides to follow your process a bit on their own project, then starts to bog down, it's helpful to know "yeah, Skottie had a bit of trouble at this point, too" instead of thinking "huh, I must be an idiot, because I'm not getting the kind of results I expected."

Looking forward to hearing more.

Nato_VanDookie said...

I love reading your blogs about this because I can relate so much to your struggles. I used to create half sized 12 page comic books when I was in middle school. I would charge through them, writing as I went, but eventually, that led to an immensely confusing narrative and really boring art.

I eventually started writing out detailed scripts with thumbnail page layouts. but by the time I would finish drawing half the book I was over the story.

Even now, I want more than anything to tell the stories that I have buried inside me, but I just can't seem to find a system that works and that I can be happy with. It can be really frustrating.

I hate to say it, but it's kinda nice to know that my comic book heroes struggle in the same ways.

I wish you the best of luck with your project and I feel confident that you will finish it, and it will be awesome. I can't wait to read it.

GrayScaleXLII said...

I once heard Neil Gaiman say the way he deals with writer's block (which he refuses to refer to it as, he calls it "being stuck") is to either have 2 projects going at the same time so when he can shift back and forth when he's stuck on either. The other thing he does is he re-reads what he's working on starting all the way back to the beginning. Something about doing that shakes a few usable ideas loose.

Good luck!

A. Jonathan Cox said...

I've hit that in my own project. My plan is to let the idea "percolate" and find it's own solution. If I force it, the results will be sh*t. There aren't any rules w/ comics (ie time, structure etc - look at Dan Clowes' WILSON).

Sir Brian The Manly said...

Remember, it doesn't hurt to throw out 20 to 30 ridiculous ideas, see if any of them sound interesting and tone them down afterwards if they're too over the top. But you can't get any new break-through ideas unless you're brave enough to try. :)

Sir Brian The Manly said...

http://the99percent.com/tips/7072/Why-Success-Always-Starts-With-Failure