Friday, November 11, 2011

Daily Sketch: Creed


When you ask creators about their influences you will find many of the same names on everyones lists. But there's one name that pops up on my list that played a big role in my early years of wanting to draw comics. Trent Kaniuga.

I discovered his book CREED around 1996, the year I graduated high school. Wizard Magazine was promoting the book a bit and I remember being blown away by how different it was. I read the standard superhero stuff but I never really drew like that. All of the sudden there was this guy around my age publishing his own comic and he drew in more graffiti like, fantasy style. I fell in love with it. I grabbed onto the idea that someone my age was doing comics books, his own comics books, and it gave me the thoughts that I might be able to do it to. 

Trent brought Creed back a few more times over the years and recently released a Omnibus of all his Creed adventures.

Most people have Watchmen. I have Creed. 

Today's sketch is Mark from CREED. 6x9 bristol, brush, pen and ink. About 25 minutes.

UPDATE: SOLD



8 comments:

Vinh-Luan Luu said...

There has been several points of my artistic life where someone would look at my art then ask "Have you ever heard of the comic CreeD?". It's that obvious. And at conventions i would go on a CreeD hunt, going through long boxes after long boxes just looking for CreeD books. Luckily, through friends over at Blizzard, i have been able to meet and really chat with Trent. It was a really cool experience; he's a wonderful guy, very insightful, and hungry about art, comics, and the industry.

Bas said...

Very interesting to see and hear about these artists that inspired you. Keep 'em coming!

Bas said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Josh Kenfield said...

What a random coincidence. While sorting through some of my old books last night, I came across an old copy of a Creed comic and looked it over. I bought it when I was still in high school and fell in love with it. I thought no one else heard of these comics. Very cool to hear about it from someone else who's work I admire.

Matt said...

I totally forgot all about CreeD. That was an awesome book.

abhishek singh said...

love the fact that you are pulling out these amazing looking pieces from things that"truly" inspired you, i absolutely dig the maxx piece:)

GeoNeo said...

Great sketch. I have always loved Trent's stuff. Thanks for bringing the omnibus to my attention!

NickName said...

I was actually lucky enough to win the splash page from Trent's CreeD book. I think he had it published when he was still in HS in Indiana.