Wednesday, January 04, 2012

The 2012 Manifesto

When I start looking at 2011 I see a ton of half measures. Don't get me wrong, it was a good year for the most part. I worked on OZ, released another hardcover and with the help of the readers spent a little time on New York Times Best Seller List, joining the previous 2 hardcovers. I won 2 more Eisner Awards for our work on OZ. I started a great blog with Scott Morse. Great things happened, but like most people, I focus on the things that didn't turn out as expected. For example...

My family moved to a new town, but we played it safe and just went an hour away instead of the 14 to North Carolina like we thought.

I talked about working on 2 different graphic novels, started both, but fell victim to my own self destructive procrastination.

I started a webcomic with my buddy Scott Morse, but work,  travel and family matters got in my way of me keeping up with it.

My dad went on a 2 month business trip to Ireland but on Thanksgiving, 3 weeks before he was to come back home and retire, he had heart attack out of nowhere and passed away at the young age of 56.

2011 was filled with starts and no finishes. Ideas not fully realized. Goals set but taken for granted and not reached. Sadly, a parent who left and didn't return. Some were in my control, some not so much.  I'm hoping to change this in 2012.

First up, I will no longer be using this blog to talk about what I WILL BE doing. I will only share what I AM doing. I've tried to create a fire to drive me by using you and this blog as a motivator. If I talk about starting something, you'll get excited, I'll get excited and then the project will happen. Obviously I have many blog posts and no projects to show for it. So, I'm going to shut up and show you what I have when I have it. No more talking.

Tied to that is the ACUTAL doing it. I need to beat that fear, hesitation, ego, and all the other crap that keeps me from fully committing. But like I said above, I won't be talking about that. I'm just going to do it.

Just so you don't think I'm wallowing in my own sorrows, I will be keeping up with my morning sketches. I won't promise them everyday but I'll be doing them through out each week and selling them as usual. Casey will also be putting my original art in the store in the coming weeks.

I signed up for 3 months of personal training sessions because it's time for me to get back to where I was on the fitness side of life. If I'm not taking care of the body, the mind won't be there and all these goals will go unfinished again.

Moving into the new year I'm going to continue something that I started in the last few years. Staying positive online. I know this sounds like an odd thing to put out there. But we spend so much of our time on various social networks, art sites, and blogs. It's silly for me to pretend that's not apart of my life. It's how I interact with my readers and keep in touch with old friends and family. Most of all, it's how I keep up with the world of comics and what's going on out there while I'm locked up in the studio doodling away. Switching from the guy who hunts for the flaws, always ready with a rant on something, and generally being a bitter know it all... to a guy who just doesn't care about any of that at all has been the best thing for me. It's not that I enjoy everything now, that's just silly. But I try my best to focus on the things I enjoy and not waste my time or yours on the things I don't. I try to promote the books I like without trashing the ones I don't. I try... you get the point. I'm a bright, smiley fool now. Blame it on my son and deal with it. :)

There you go. There's a few things I'm going to try and change and in some cases, keep on keeping on. You may be asking yourself why in the world would you be interested in any of this. I have no idea. I'm really just typing this for myself and we'll see if posting it keeps me accountable.

I'd like to thank each of  you for support this past year but most of all, this last month. I'm a lucky man to have you all on my side. Let's see how I can repay you throughout this next year.

Happy New Year.

19 comments:

Veronica said...

You can do ANYTHING Skottie! Go for it!

Marcos B. Alvarado said...

Although, I gotta admit that I'll miss hearing your stories, I understand what you gotta do. I look forward to seeing your work in 2012!! :)

Abhinav said...

Skottie, I have been following your blog for a long time and your amazing artwork is a real inspiration. This is the first time I am commenting though. I look forward to more of your work and here's wishing you good luck with your 2012 manifesto :)

Sinu Chandrasenan said...

Have a great 2012, Skottie!

Will said...

You know, it's actually a little comforting knowing that even people of your stature are dealing with the same issues that a lot of us are. Definitely another level of motivation that we can all bring our energies up a notch and concentrate to get what we need done, done.

Also I wanted to quote this real quick: "I talked about working on 2 different graphic novels, started both, but fell victim to my own self destructive procrastination."

That may be the deep down truth, but from a readers point of view looking over everything you posted and analysed - you talked yourself out of it. You over critiqued things until you thought it inferior enough to pull the plug. If you were 12 or 14 again and slinging your concepts this wouldn't have happened and there would have been an end product. Whether you thought it worthy or not, there would have been PLENTY of people that got enjoyment out of it. Not everything has to be of "Watchmen level" or whatever, cliche's work and are great/easier in-betweens for deeper concepts; you know what I mean. Keep at it man, don't think too much. Just go with the flow of the energy and when it feels deep, focus on it. Here's to 2012! :)

Sktchmnky said...

Your right gotta just do it! Thank you for this its more motivating than you think.

Batfan said...

Excellent post! And a Happy New Year to you man :)

Midrell Fitzgerald/ Blake Trevino said...

Really can't wait for your work.Great inspiration to me, so eager to see what you burst out in 2012.

Pancho said...

I really like the things you share with us here. They are inspiring to me.
happy new year, man!

BlinkingBlah said...

You can repay me by keeping yourself alive, healthy and producing kick ass work. Thank you for always keeping good communication and making yourself accessible to your peeps.

j_ay said...

Close your Twatter account, you'd be amazed how much time you get back.

William Jay said...

Do it Skottie, stop overthinking yourself and do it! You're an inspirational artist, here's hoping for a better 2012 x

Chris Slinger said...

You are going to kick 2012's arse, my brother!

Bas said...

Great! Looking forward to see some new art from your hand.

Ev said...

A poignant post Skottie and one that mirrored some of my own trials. You're an inspiration Skottie. You can do eet!

Chris said...

welcome back Skottie, Here's looking forward to a great year!

Pablo said...

Your an inspiration Skottie, Heres to you, and everyone else who creates. No need to over think just put that pen/pencil to paper, stylus to wacom/tablet, and fingers to keyboard and let loose.
lets go 2012!

Mike Boldt said...

Excellent Post! I too had to learn to stop focusing on the sour parts of life and enjoy the sweet. My son also had something to do with it.

As usual, I'll look forward to what ever you have coming down the production pipe!

May 2012 be your best yet!

-Mike

xxsmarsxx.deviantart.com said...

dude, i listened to you on jason's making comics podcast. i love how you always have the ability to spark great conversations. i would love to hear you do a regular or even semi regular podcast.
also... i read the book Outliers on your recommendation. fascinating and inspiring book.
you're on a great, progressive, and inspirational path, i hope it stays clear and you never lose focus in this new year.
cheers.