Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Concrete Daily Sketch


Some days I have a blank on what to sketch for the morning warm-up. This is where Twitter comes in handy. I reach out and ask for suggestions, get blasted with around 100 in a few minutes and then like magic, I no longer have a blank. Connecting directly with people like that is fantastic and can be really inspiring.

Today's suggestion came from my friend, Jeff Lemire. Concrete. Now, I'm going to expose myself (not in that what, take it easy) and admit I've never met Concrete. I have no reason why. It's just one of those books I have always been aware of but was never exposed to it. No one ever talked to me about it, or suggested reading it, and I'm not really sure. There, I said it. I haven't read Concrete. But the character design is so appealing. A big rock guy. I liked that the instinct to make rock harsh, with an edge. But Concrete was soft, round, subtle. What a great design.

6x9 Bristol, brush and pen. SOLD

2 comments:

Josh Heusinkveld said...

Awesome warm up sketch as always.

Jack the Radio said...

Incredible rendition Skottie! Beyond the great Concrete, really enjoying those trees.