Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Heroes Con Rundown.

Another convention is in the books. Heroes Con 2012 in Charlotte, NC is one of those special conventions that no artist or art fan should miss. There are a few writers there too... i think 3 or 4 ;), but this show is filled with artistic heavy hitters from all walks of comics. You can't help buy get inspired and energized while you're at this convention. I got so many cool books from a wide range of talent. Cons like this are like super fuel for the creative tank.

I've mentioned this before but I feel the need to cover it again. Conventions like Heroes, Emerald City, Planet Comiccon, Boston, etc. are showing us something. People want what we're making. Sales numbers, countless articles and blogs, even some publishers are telling us that this won't work or that can't sell or there's not an audience for that or that style isn't marketable. My career has been a gauntlet of these kind statements. But over the last 10 years I show up to these great conventions and the people are saying something very different to us all. They are excited by finding new things, new styles, new voices. They want it, and these conventions are giving us a chance to give it directly to them. 

Broken record time. Comics aren't dying, they're changing. Evolving. I'm a fan before I'm a "pro" and my money is voice on that side of it. I have been using it support stores like Challengers and Day Dream Comics, attend the conventions like Heroes, ECCC, PCC, etc, as well as fund a number of Kickstarter projects. Creators who don't always fit into the mainstream model have so many avenues to expose their work now. It's exciting times and I'm thrilled to be a part of it as both a fan and a creator.

Thank you all for your many years of support and to those of you who are just being introduced to the wacky world that is my work. I'm grateful to have you along for the ride. Below are some of the sketches and commissions I did at the show. Enjoy. 














7 comments:

Anthony Bachman said...

That Speedball is amazing! Thanks for sharing Skottie. I still say a monthly Speedball by Skottie Young would be the most kinetic book ever!

Paul Montani said...

Ha! I was just jumping on to comment about the Speedball pic. Love it. I would be all over a Skottie-drawn Speedball book!!

Skottie - hope you keep coming back to Boston. It is a charge to meet so many artists who are into meeting fans. I got my 5 year old in the Oz books after seeing you at this year's show, she's totally hooked. She is already looking forward to next year to tell you how much she loves Eureka!

SpandexSplinters said...

I wanted to say that it was a complete pleasure to have met you this past weekend. My wife continues to want to sleep in a pile of your pigs. Thanks again!!!!

Jack the Radio said...

So awesome!!! Great work and great words.

Megan said...

wow is really cool, amazing work.. i like it

Joe Romano 2 said...

Damn Skottie, these are freakin awesome. Nice work man!!!!

Cyril Brenner-loegel said...

Oh! I really like your mini Venom!