Thursday, July 05, 2012

My Cousin, My Dad, and Amazing Spider-Man


Instead of a sketch, I did a quick strip of featuring my cousin, Colin, and my Dad.

My Dad didn't take me to movies when I was little. Don't worry, I'm not scarred by this, it was just a fact. I'm not saying I didn't go to movies, I did. And as the VCR had just hit the world, we rented a lot of movies. But I can't remember going to the movies with my dad as a kid. Just him.

When I was in my early 20's I watched something special. After years of waiting, Spider-Man was going to hit theaters. My dad grew up reading Marvel Comics and I had just started working at Marvel... drawing a Spider-man comic. I lived a few hours away in Chicago so it wasn't so easy to call him up and go catch Spidey's big screen debut. Instead, he did something that always made me well up a bit. He called up my 10 year old cousin and told him to get ready, they we're going to see SPIDER-MAN. 

He would probably never admit this but he was trying to do it over.  You know, the movie thing. Father and son, going to the movie. My brother and I were older now and while it was fun seeing flicks with dad, he couldn't see that magic and wonder in us. He got many years of joy watching us achieve great things in sports and me later with my art. But there's something special about watching a kid discover the magic of movies and he was going getting his do over.

He took Colin, age 10, to Spider-Man and they LOVED it. He then proceeded to take him to Spider-Man 2 and then Spider-Man 3 and they just kept loving them. Every birthday and Christmas, Colin would receive various Spidey-centric gifts. Shirts, toys, boxer shorts. As Colin got older, it became less about a kid getting Spider-Man toys and more a big wink from his Uncle Kim. It was their thing and we all got a kick out of it. 

Last night, Colin pointed something out on Facebook that hit me pretty hard. He's 20 now and Amazing Spider-Man was released yesterday. He realized that he was going to see Spider-Man in the theater for the first time in his life without his Uncle Kim. I guess it's fitting that Amazing Spider-man is starting over and retelling the story from the beginning. It marks the end of an era, and the start of a new one. 

It's been  6 months since my dad passed away. I miss the hell out of him. Tomorrow I'll go see the new movie and think about how he probably would say "That was F**king awesome." or "Did you see the new Spider-Man? It was the TITS!" Yeah, I know. Who the hell says that, right? 

My dad did... a lot. haha.

9 comments:

Mark Rojas said...

Very touching piece.

Okplusnerds said...

i cant wait till my son gets old enough to take him to movies

the comics expert said...

Wonderful post. These things hit a lot closer to home now that I'm a dad myself. Thanks for sharing & thanks for being a ano of a kind artist!

shliknik said...

Great post.

C.Deboda said...

That was amazing. Thanks for sharing this.

AlexMorellon said...

Thank you for sharing that. It touched the hell out of me...

Fitzzz said...

Great strip, Better Dad story. Thank you for this post!

Stevie Bullock said...

Wow. I'm so sorry to hear about your dad. This strip is very touching. I love it

juand182 said...

Thank you for Sharing this with us